Car has roof rails. What do I need to put my bike on roof?

sunchaser

Hi guys,

I upgraded to a car  that comes with a roof rail ( :whistling: ). Please advise what I need to get my bike on the roof of car.

I assume I need roof rack first, then a bike rack to secure the bike...????

Please share your knowledge.

Thanks.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do it if you don't have insurance on your bike/s

:D ... was there a bad experience along the way? please do share.. 

Been looking at this option instead of going to fit a tow bar and buy a rack.. 

You're on the right track. Thule's website is pretty helpful with what you need for your car.

But essentially, you need 3 things:

- Some form of clamp to attache to your roof rails

- A WingBar or other 

- A Roof Bike Rack

m4nS79c.jpg

WcEM1zC.jpg

If you're willing to take the time, you'll be able to source everything through Gumtree/Facebook Marketplace at a steal. Just find out which Rail Clamps you need, and what length Wingbar you need and scour the classifieds. You're able to buy the correct fittings for the Rail Clamps for your car direct from Thule, so even if you find one that isn't exactly correct, you can still get the correct parts.

As for the towbar vs. roof rack debate. I've always used roof racks as I've never owned a car with a towbar. I probably would switch to a towbar rack if I had a towbar, only because your fuel consumption takes a beating with the bikes on the roof, especially at highway speeds (and I generally carry 3 bikes). With a single road bike it's not as bad.

I've not once had a close encounter with anything overhead, but I am pretty diligent about it though. YMMV.

Edited by bertusras

You're on the right track. Thule's website is pretty helpful with what you need for your car.

- A WingBar or other 

- A Roof Bike Rack

m4nS79c.jpg

WcEM1zC.jpg

If you're willing to take the time, you'll be able to source everything through Gumtree/Facebook Marketplace at a steal. Just find out which Rail Clamps you need, and what length Wingbar you need and scour the classifieds. You're able to buy the correct fittings for the Rail Clamps for your car direct from Thule, so even if you find one that isn't exactly correct, you can still get the correct parts.

As for the towbar vs. roof rack debate. I've always used roof racks as I've never owned a car with a towbar. I probably would switch to a towbar rack if I had a towbar, only because your fuel consumption takes a beating with the bikes on the roof, especially at highway speeds (and I generally carry 3 bikes). With a single road bike it's not as bad.

I've not once had a close encounter with anything overhead, but I am pretty diligent about it though. YMMV.

Aah bertusras, you hit the ball out of the park...this is what I am talking about boys!

Thanks for pointing me in right direction AND advice...

- A WingBar or other 

- A Roof Bike Rack

m4nS79c.jpg

WcEM1zC.jpg

i recently upgraded to a taller SUV style car and was able to transfer my Wingbars and racks to it. Luckily I'm 1.88 m or it would be really hard to get the bikes in the racks because off the increased roof height. It also increases the clearance you need a bit, the biggest problem being low hanging branches in the burbs. Just something to be aware of....

i recently upgraded to a taller SUV style car and was able to transfer my Wingbars and racks to it. Luckily I'm 1.88 m or it would be really hard to get the bikes in the racks because off the increased roof height. It also increases the clearance you need a bit, the biggest problem being low hanging branches in the burbs. Just something to be aware of....

Or Bridget the truck-eating bridge

Edited by Eddy Gordo

:D ... was there a bad experience along the way? please do share.. 

Been looking at this option instead of going to fit a tow bar and buy a rack.. 

tip-of-the-day-how-to-avoid-decapitating

327325-bicycle-roof-rack-meets-garage-do

Edited by Shebeen

As per bertusras above.

Load bars that attach (clamp) to your rails, and then a bike rack.

I've done this for years now and far prefer it to the tow hitch option.

Hi guys,

I upgraded to a car  that comes with a roof rail ( :whistling: ). Please advise what I need to get my bike on the roof of car.

I assume I need roof rack first, then a bike rack to secure the bike...????

Please share your knowledge.

Thanks.

Edited by Uphill battle

hahahaha

Our office overlooks Bridget. Endless entertainment!

But is it actually low enough to take out a bike on an SUV? I'm not going to try and find out and luckily I don't need to drive that way, ever.

But is it actually low enough to take out a bike on an SUV? I'm not going to try and find out and luckily I don't need to drive that way, ever.

I don't know. I doubt it. 

The big fridge trucks get caught because of the hill. The anount of insulation foam I've seen strewn across the road there is ridiculous.

I reckon bikes on cars would be more than fine.

I don't know. I doubt it. 

The big fridge trucks get caught because of the hill. The anount of insulation foam I've seen strewn across the road there is ridiculous.

I reckon bikes on cars would be more than fine.

lift kit on my bakkie + roof Rails + thule roof racks + K1 canoe is good at removing the light bulbs in the underground parking at work. I certainly would be nervous with bikes up there.

lift kit on my bakkie + roof Rails + thule roof racks + K1 canoe is good at removing the light bulbs in the underground parking at work. I certainly would be nervous with bikes up there.

Yeah nah..... I definitely wouldn't try it if I put bikes on top of the Landy!