Theft proofing thule pro ride wheel sliders

MajG

These footwell or sliders get stolen off so easily, i already had to replace them.

They need to have some mobility on the railings to fit various bike sizes.So i need to insert or install something at the ends of the rails to prevent or make it harder for these thieves to slide it off.

Any ideas?

post-50002-0-17879300-1605807395_thumb.jpg

Just disapointed how inferior the attachment is onto the rail.

The padlock will work but will make knocking noise as you ride though.

Aluminum riveted on could work, just think they might pop off the wheel slider with screw driver

Just disapointed how inferior the attachment is onto the rail.

The padlock will work but will make knocking noise as you ride though.

Aluminum riveted on could work, just think they might pop off the wheel slider with screw driver

But will slow a thief down and /or require tools which will be more noticeable by others around 

How difficult is it to slide off?  

(Iow just slide it off when not in use then?)

Edited by Pieter-za

I had to go and buy a new wheel slider thanks to some tjop who can afford a bike and Thule rack but not a slider? Anyway, the guy at the shop was really helpful and had two tips, drill a hole at the end and put in a screw as well as pushing the sliders past the mounts i.e. towards the centre of the rack and then put the "wheel straps" in place as someone will need to unlatch the straps before sliding pst the mount.

Neither theft proof but certainly will slow the tjop up enough that he moves on

I love the 'security' in the name

Like no one can go to some basic bitch hardware store and get a set of torx keys

Like no one can go to some basic bitch hardware store and get a set of torx keys

Look at the pin in the middle of the bolt. I haven't seen those bits readily available and the chances of someone carrying that to steal stuff is close to zero. 

Look at the pin in the middle of the bolt. I haven't seen those bits readily available and the chances of someone carrying that to steal stuff is close to zero. 

Just a torx with a hole in it. I have see these pop up on bicycles so I buy all torx tools with the hole because it can work on the torx bolts with or without the pin.

I think any bolt will deter any chancer/opportunists, if they really want it they will get it. The more protection you put the more likely you are to end up with damaged racks, roof etc...

It all also comes back to what I have said previously, the tossers that are causing bicycle crime are among us. Guys stealing parts of bike racks, no doubt own said bike rack and have lost it, or are willing to buy it dirt cheap from a dodgey supplier. Same goes for bike thefts, if none of our cycling buddies were buying top end bikes for dirt cheap from dodge sources- dodge sources would not be buying stolen bikes or stealing bikes themselves.

Nothing is theft proof. Some things are just more difficult to steal than others.

This will deter 95% of people.

So I've got the aluminum riveted towards the end and when not in use I lock them into the clamp. It's not full proof but makes it just that much harder to pinch without making it noticeable...

ea3d31f512eb2a68bb97af912d5bf19b.jpg