MTB Bike Board Mounting Bracket

gemmerbal

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm using this, bought it a few years back in a pack of four (not even sure where I bought it)

Quick and easy to remove, and does not scratch the handlebar.

attachicon.gifscott2.jpg

attachicon.gifscott1.jpg

Until it rains and mud/sand gets under there imo. I threw away a handlebar after k2c last year because i used something very similar to this and was left with two silver rings on my bars from where it was chafing for 100km lol.

I dont mount these things on my bike anymore. At events i “accidentally” rip the holes/cable ties after the start and gooi it in my pocket and go on my merry way. If I get asked where it is i just take it out and do puppy eyes haha

The Tygerberg board i’d probably mount on a backpack or helmet or something. They remind me of these elaborate things and stuffed toys and dream catchers people hang from their rear view mirrors in their cars. No

Edited by morneS555

Another idea/sidenote:

I know the number boards at events are mainly for photographers being able to identify you...but for things like the club boards...why not have an option for something like a club-mudguard with all the info on it. At least then the thing serves a purpose and isnt some random appendage. It would propably cost exactly the same to make too. It can still be some horribly clashing color scheme if they prefer.

Until it rains and mud/sand gets under there imo. I threw away a handlebar after k2c last year because i used something very similar to this and was left with two silver rings on my bars from where it was chafing for 100km lol.

I dont mount these things on my bike anymore. At events i “accidentally” rip the holes/cable ties after the start and gooi it in my pocket and go on my merry way. If I get asked where it is i just take it out and do puppy eyes haha

The Tygerberg board i’d probably mount on a backpack or helmet or something. They remind me of these elaborate things and stuffed toys and dream catchers people hang from their rear view mirrors in their cars. No

That same setup was used to do a Joberg2C, which included two wet days, and a few dusty days.

Then again, it is an alu bar on a alu frame Mtb, that is being used for it's intended purpose, so a few scuff marks gives it "houding"

It's not for parading around.....lol.

Another idea/sidenote:

I know the number boards at events are mainly for photographers being able to identify you...but for things like the club boards...why not have an option for something like a club-mudguard with all the info on it. At least then the thing serves a purpose and isnt some random appendage. It would propably cost exactly the same to make too. It can still be some horribly clashing color scheme if they prefer.

I was just this week thinking of putting some velcro on the mudguard and back of the board to mount my Helderberg pass. Things on the handlebar annoy the hell out of me.

A club I belonged to in pta had wristbands - they were by far the most elegant solution I have seen.

Morne pre covid there were less members ... and less rogue riders .... think I saw 1 or 2 marchalls per year.

Post covid you see about as many club boards as day permits !!! LOTS of new riders ....

All too often you see a day permit on a traverse ....

And yes, each ride there are boardless riders ....

There are now marchalls every weekend .... on Saturday a club member got the short end of the stick ... his bike went in for a service, he did not refit his board .... was stopped mid-trail, had to go back and buy a day permit.

I felt sorry for him .... but we have to thank the number of rogue riders ....

Maybe some insulation tape/ cling wrap / similar on the bar, to protect it against the board straps ?

Morne pre covid there were less members ... and less rogue riders .... think I saw 1 or 2 marchalls per year.

Post covid you see about as many club boards as day permits !!! LOTS of new riders ....

All too often you see a day permit on a traverse ....

And yes, each ride there are boardless riders ....

There are now marchalls every weekend .... on Saturday a club member got the short end of the stick ... his bike went in for a service, he did not refit his board .... was stopped mid-trail, had to go back and buy a day permit.

I felt sorry for him .... but we have to thank the number of rogue riders ....

Maybe some insulation tape/ cling wrap / similar on the bar, to protect it against the board straps ?

I just took my gears off my bike and you want me to put back unnecessary crap to prevent other unnecessary crap from damaging my bike??? ????????

No, I still think there is a better solution to that little pink or yellow flappy board on the bars.

Ps i tear my day permit boards ‘by accident’ and put them in my pocket there too. I dont ask permission...i just say oops, sorry.

I paid my fee, not like im a rogue rider...even if I could be. I know all the gate codes lol. But i pay. My bike is my property...and not my fault the paper is weak☺️

Edited by morneS555

Also..Those marshals cant make it up there consistently anyway LOL. They'd much rather bother kids and dads on the bottom loops hehe.

I just took my gears off my bike and you want me to put back unnecessary crap to prevent other unnecessary crap from damaging my bike???

No, I still think there is a better solution to that little pink or yellow flappy board on the bars.

Ps i tear my day permit boards ‘by accident’ and put them in my pocket there too. I dont ask permission...i just say oops, sorry.

I paid my fee, not like im a rogue rider...even if I could be. I know all the gate codes lol. But i pay. My bike is my property...and not my fault the paper is weak☺

see if you can find anti-rattle tape. It's an automotive product. basically a roll of material with a sticky backing in tape form. A strip of that around the bars to prevent chaffing and it does not detract from the bike.

i use it on my road bike to finish off the bartape instead of using insulation tape.

Edited by ouzo

see if you can find anti-rattle tape. It's an automotive product. basically a roll of material with a sticky backing in tape form. A strip of that around the bars to prevent chaffing and it does not detract from the bike.

i use it on my road bike to finish off the bartape instead of using insulation tape.

Then you still have a pink “flappy paddle” hanging off your bars though. One that definitely looks out of place on a bicycle. But I actually think most people like those boards. “ looks pro”, like when people used to(?) leave their race boards on their bikes because it looks like you are actually trying...but then you get closer and see it’s a 6K number ???????? Edited by morneS555

• 4 weeks later...

There is an insane amount of wasted space on the vast majority of membership/race boards. If a few clubs and events can work together with even a half-wit designer they can surely come up with a adequate compact design with suitable mounting option that will fit most (MT) bikes. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...