Bike advice Please :)

Rider77

Hey guys,
I'm not a pro biker of any sort, I'm simply wanting a solid enough bike for riding cross country / mountain and road trips, that is not super costly. Good brakes and shocks would be awesome. 

I dont know much about bikes so would greatly appreciate your advice :)

I do know that I need an XL as I'm 6ft2 and dont want to be slouched over when cycling (I have posture issues Im working on as is due to sitting all day).

Bridge Cycles has a Scott Aspect 940 or 950 2020 for 11k, a bit high but I had a Scott Aspect before I moved to UK for a year.

These look interesting to me.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/439623/scott-genius-30-xl-carbon
https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/439446/titan-29er-xl

Thanks so much :D

Welcome to the hub

That Titan 29 er will work fine for riding around and getting fit.

My advise:

Get the Titan. Ride it for a year and see where your cycling adventures take you.

That Titan has one messed up colour scheme - the wheels and fork are from a Silverback Sola 4, and simply do not match the frame.

It would be ok if you were getting the bike at a huge discount due to this, but you aren't. 

Welcome,

Thing to note there on the Titan, that was one of their cheapest frames Titan made in the MTB lineup, with what looks like a stock Silverback Sola 4 wheels and fork (kind of like a frankenstein bike).

The best thing to do is really come up with a budget and see how far you can really stretch it. What you don't want to happen is buying something that starts to limit you within 6 months of riding. It's costly to upgrade. And you don't want the fact that your bike is limiting you to put you off completely.

This is purely an example, but have a look at what a slightly higher budget will allow. It puts you on a current 1x12 drivetrain (which is standard in the MTB world now), great fork,  with good ergonomics for what you say you will use it for, and let's be honest, it looks the beez neez. (a bike that looks great, rides great. You will also want to ride a great looking bike more). Again, this is an example. Simply a demonstration of what pushing your budget can do for what you get.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/433905/titan-racing-rogue-dash

Have fun during this shopping process.

Welcome,

Thing to note there on the Titan, that was one of their cheapest frames Titan made in the MTB lineup, with what looks like a stock Silverback Sola 4 wheels and fork (kind of like a frankenstein bike).

The best thing to do is really come up with a budget and see how far you can really stretch it. What you don't want to happen is buying something that starts to limit you within 6 months of riding. It's costly to upgrade. And you don't want the fact that your bike is limiting you to put you off completely.

This is purely an example, but have a look at what a slightly higher budget will allow. It puts you on a current 1x12 drivetrain (which is standard in the MTB world now), great fork,  with good ergonomics for what you say you will use it for, and let's be honest, it looks the beez neez. (a bike that looks great, rides great. You will also want to ride a great looking bike more). Again, this is an example. Simply a demonstration of what pushing your budget can do for what you get.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/433905/titan-racing-rogue-dash

Have fun during this shopping process.

Thanks man!

So, does the extra ~4 grand warrant that bike, and why? And is it better than the Scott Aspect mentioned above new? It is quite above my budget.

It has a very low handle bar, and I'd want something that allows / inspires me to sit more upright. I sit all day and have developed a hunch, so the last thing I want to do is do what whilst im riding!

Edited by Rider77

Look at the Dual Suspension bikes in the classifieds as well, if your budget can allow for it.

The amount of pleasure you will get from having a dual suspension, even an old one with 3x10 gears, will be way more than having a hardtail with the latest 1x12.

The full suspension makes riding technical sections, both uphill and downhill way better.

But that is just my opinion.

The other option to buy cheap now and then upgrade to whatever your riding style develops into later also makes allot of sense. (Plus, you can also keep the old one and start your own N+1 colelction... :) )

Enjoy the ride!

Thanks man!

So, does the extra ~4 grand warrant that bike, and why? And is it better than the Scott Aspect mentioned above new? It is quite above my budget.

It has a very low handle bar, and I'd want something that allows / inspires me to sit more upright. I sit all day and have developed a hunch, so the last thing I want to do is do what whilst im riding!

Look it seems a bit slammed, but that's really the setup for XC and/or racing snakes.

I pulled that bike out only as an example, not necessarily saying its exactly the one you should get. The example was just to show that a few extra rand gives you much better specs compounded.

I would honestly keep shopping around, see how much you can spend and get something with newer components on it. I would have a 1x setup, good quality fork, and good quality wheels as my checking points on my shopping list.

Don't rush the shopping. Keep looking, keep researching, watch videos on YT etc. The right bike at a good deal will come up sooner or later. 

Look it seems a bit slammed, but that's really the setup for XC and/or racing snakes.

I pulled that bike out only as an example, not necessarily saying its exactly the one you should get. The example was just to show that a few extra rand gives you much better specs compounded.

I would honestly keep shopping around, see how much you can spend and get something with newer components on it. I would have a 1x setup, good quality fork, and good quality wheels as my checking points on my shopping list.

Don't rush the shopping. Keep looking, keep researching, watch videos on YT etc. The right bike at a good deal will come up sooner or later. 

I'm between two minds here for our friend.

I think he needs to buy the cheapest bike possible to fit his needs right now. In 6 months time, after riding with other okes, he will have a better idea of what he REALLY wants in a bike. It is then that he can read up on groupsets, geometry, wheelsets and tailor his needs and then look for it in the classifieds until he finds it... all the while... he is at least riding something...

I'm between two minds here for our friend.

I think he needs to buy the cheapest bike possible to fit his needs right now. In 6 months time, after riding with other okes, he will have a better idea of what he REALLY wants in a bike. It is then that he can read up on groupsets, geometry, wheelsets and tailor his needs and then look for it in the classifieds until he finds it... all the while... he is at least riding something...

Completely understand. I am by no means a bike expert (sorry OP :w00t: )

One of the only reasons why I am against this route, is it works out expensive. You won't get the money back on the 'first' bike and then you still need to fork out more for the 'second'? where as what I am eluding to is buying the most expensive you can afford now, then not needing to upgrade much (or at all) down the line. That is my opinion. But again, I don't claim to be an expert here. Just sharing my thoughts and experiences 

*Edit: I do completely agree and support the idea of getting on a bike ASAP though :clap:

Edited by JuddMan

The best is go look at and test ride some bikes, that's the best way to find what you like and then take the one you like and can afford.

Its easy for us to say what you should and shouldn't buy, but in the end you are the one that must like and enjoy it.

Go check out the Giant Talon at a local giant store too. Giant offers great value for money too. You will be able to get one of the models in your budget for sure...maybe even a better spec in a 2020 or 2019 model.

Ps: secondhand will land you better specs for similar money but yea...as a person who rides XL myself...you wont find too much of what you want on here for cheap. A fringe size unfortunately. At 6’2 You might be able to fit a Large in giant sizes though. They run big. Im 6’5...no such luck for me.

post-64325-0-50323000-1605883370_thumb.jpeg

post-64325-0-07038000-1605883776_thumb.png

Edited by morneS555

Go check out the Giant Talon at a local giant store too. Giant offers great value for money too. You will be able to get one of the models in your budget for sure...maybe even a better spec in a 2020 or 2019 model.

Ps: secondhand will land you better specs for similar money but yea...as a person who rides XL myself...you wont find too much of what you want on here for cheap. A fringe size unfortunately. At 6’2 You might be able to fit a Large in giant sizes though. They run big. Im 6’5...no such luck for me.

Good point.

I'm 6'2(1.88m everywhere outside the USA) and I ride a Large Giant Anthem. I feel very comfortable on it.

XL might actually pull you too far forward due to the longer top tube, seeing as you actually want a more upright posture, the Large might be a better choice.

Whatever you decide on, take it for a proper lap around the block before letting go of the money.

Good point.

I'm 6'2(1.88m everywhere outside the USA) and I ride a Large Giant Anthem. I feel very comfortable on it.

XL might actually pull you too far forward due to the longer top tube, seeing as you actually want a more upright posture, the Large might be a better choice.

Whatever you decide on, take it for a proper lap around the block before letting go of the money.

I'm also on the tall side at 1.87m (I only use the @#$%@#& unit system with a gun to my head).

Large Rocky Mountain work perfectly for me.

Edited by Theog