Trans Baviaans 2021

pedal menace

I assume most received the TB newsletter this morning - Revised Rules to cover COVID Level 1 regulations. I was expecting this. Cannot blame them. They are trying their best to keep the event going. This is/was going to be my 7th time doing it - but my first time with my son. What a privilege! But EISH:

1. 5AM -7AM start:  I will likely be the 5AM batch. That would imply an estimated 2AM/230AM get up time. Unless staying in Willowmore, nothing is really that close. Doing the event on maybe 3-4 hours of sleep. I think I will nbe OK bu t my son, oh boy...he needs his sleep. 

2. No spectators - Fully understandable. But man - being my first ride with my son I was already picturing wife/mother to meet us at the finish, tears everywhere, me crying of how proud I am of my son! To me spectators are so much part of the event. And all that money to fly everyone down (you need a designated driver/spectator) but meeting them I guess in the parking lot somewhere? 

3. Starting at 5Am will mean mostly daylight ride. This is great as I will see more than ever before - BUT - the night ride is so much part of the event. I love that part! It is just...the Transbaviaans

4. Starting at 5AM will mean riding peak temperatures most of the day - and we all know teh Kloof can easily reach 40 degrees +on a really hot day. 

I am more than willing to still do it - but it will be my son's call as the hype and support of the family means everything to him. I hope they offer a transfer to the Aug 2021 event - I would love that option. But I will not blame them if it is not offered. 

Still one of the best events EVER!! Choices now choices....

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be a game changer...........keep an eye on the classifieds for the off loading of tickets starting today.  I am still in 2 minds of doing this !! 

I think so too. Other than the event entry I have not yet booked anything - flights, bike transport etc. Been holding back to get the new rules. I am so in two minds. I have done 6, so to me skipping this one is not much of an issue for me. My son is just so looking forward to it but he want the true Baviaans experience and this will not quite be it (my humble personal opinion). Not sure of others will agree/disagree with me. Again - kudos to Wikus and Company for making every effort to allow the event to continue.  

Was planning to do it with my daughter, then my rotator cuff happened, still on the mend , but with the "new rules" I think I will skip this one. I stay 220km from Willowmore , with the race starting at 10am it was nice leaving early in the morning and arrived with lots of time to prepare, but now will be a different ball game........... 

I assume most received the TB newsletter this morning - Revised Rules to cover COVID Level 1 regulations. I was expecting this. Cannot blame them. They are trying their best to keep the event going. This is/was going to be my 7th time doing it - but my first time with my son. What a privilege! But EISH:

1. 5AM -7AM start:  I will likely be the 5AM batch. That would imply an estimated 2AM/230AM get up time. Unless staying in Willowmore, nothing is really that close. Doing the event on maybe 3-4 hours of sleep. I think I will nbe OK bu t my son, oh boy...he needs his sleep. 

2. No spectators - Fully understandable. But man - being my first ride with my son I was already picturing wife/mother to meet us at the finish, tears everywhere, me crying of how proud I am of my son! To me spectators are so much part of the event. And all that money to fly everyone down (you need a designated driver/spectator) but meeting them I guess in the parking lot somewhere? 

3. Starting at 5Am will mean mostly daylight ride. This is great as I will see more than ever before - BUT - the night ride is so much part of the event. I love that part! It is just...the Transbaviaans

4. Starting at 5AM will mean riding peak temperatures most of the day - and we all know teh Kloof can easily reach 40 degrees +on a really hot day. 

I am more than willing to still do it - but it will be my son's call as the hype and support of the family means everything to him. I hope they offer a transfer to the Aug 2021 event - I would love that option. But I will not blame them if it is not offered. 

Still one of the best events EVER!! Choices now choices....

Keep in mind that the new timing only applies if the current State of Emergency laws still apply by race-day. Will be watching closely to see if the government keeps the curfew in place through the December holidays. 

Keep in mind that the new timing only applies if the current State of Emergency laws still apply by race-day. Will be watching closely to see if the government keeps the curfew in place through the December holidays. 

Fully agree. However, one needs to at some point decide what course of action one is going to take. Do I wait until 15 Dec? 

Luckily our accommodation is walking distance from the start so a 5 am start wouldn't be an issue. The Double century was a wakeup call wrt riding in heat and I think heat training is going to be extremely important. Looking forward to the challenge

I don't really understand why they couldn't make some sort of plan. Maybe it's a WC vs EC government thing and I'm really not in the business of comparing organizers, I just want to ride my bike. 

At the 36One they organized permits for the riders and even the support guys. They issued it to us and my wife who drove around all night got one as well. Maybe it is because the event is much bigger.

Maybe Ecobound must phone Dryland and ask to whom they asked what to get it sorted.

But anyway. I've entered and I'll try and make whatever plan needs to be made.

Edited by RearWheelDrive

Same with the Munga...organisers made a plan and riders with a permit can cycle around the clock....

I don't really understand why they couldn't make some sort of plan. Maybe it's a WC vs EC government thing and I'm really not in the business of comparing organizers, I just want to ride my bike. 

At the 36One they organized permits for the riders and even the support guys. They issued it to us and my wife who drove around all night got one as well. Maybe it is because the event is much bigger.

But anyway. I've entered and I'll try and make whatever plan needs to be made.

Same with the Munga...organisers made a plan and riders with a permit can cycle around the clock....

Very interesting. I know for Cullinan to Tonteldoos they made it a 5AM start as well. I am very worried the affect the heat will have on my son. He is only 19 and have never ever really had that kind of exposure. I have ridden in temperatures close to 50 - degrees ..it is horrible in all sorts of ways. Now going up Bergplaats in that.....yikeeess!!! Ok I do not want to complain. I guess it remains each one's choice to sellentry/bail completely or go ahead and do it! . My son's health is priority number 1. He loves cycling but this will be his BIGGEST challenge ever. 

He's 19, not a kid, he'll be fine if your race hydration strategy is solid.

He reminds me every day! But a dad will be a dad..always worrying  :whistling: ..just DO NOT tell him he is not training hard enough. That unleashes a weapon of mass destruction (yeah my fault..I know). 

Judging from my experience at 36One and how different that turned out being run in November instead of April/May, this is likely to also be a whole different kettle of fish in January compared to August... On the hunt for some Black Friday deals on Suncream, DM me if you see anything  :mellow:

First TB for me. Thinking the heat will add considerable challenge to this jol. Will be doing some heat training now, which means some sleeping in :)

He's 19, not a kid, he'll be fine if your race hydration strategy is solid.

Well said BP,

AND, this might be his/your only ever Lockdown Baviaans. Bragging rights are up for grabs. I did the LangsBaviaans in 2011 when the TB route got flooded. So glad I did :clap:

Like they say, a spectator is not a supporter. No spectators allowed, but (paid) supporters are allowed at Hadleigh and the finish line.

We are a team of 4, and we paid for 4 supporters when we entered in December. All our wives will be going to Hadleigh Pakstoor and the finish as supporters, not as spectators.

Unless I somewhere missed that they changed that and only one driver in a support vehicle is now allowed? Then we need to be refunded for the three other supporter entries.. but I doubt that is the case.

post-119556-0-61333700-1606141634_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohanDiv