Trans Baviaans 2021

pedal menace

23 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Can someone please explain something to me? Like seriously not being a boks or asking this to get a reaction: On their website the entry fee for a 2 man team is currently on R2880.00. Why do folks then still try to sell their entries on this site for R5-R6k? Am I missing something? 

PS: the above me mentioned fee has been like that since early May, or even April

Thought I had missed something, or paid too much... Phew.

Screenshot_20210628-183657_Brave.jpg

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Can someone please explain something to me? Like seriously not being a boks or asking this to get a reaction: On their website the entry fee for a 2 man team is currently on R2880.00. Why do folks then still try to sell their entries on this site for R5-R6k? Am I missing something? 

PS: the above me mentioned fee has been like that since early May, or even April

R2,880 is per person.

3 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan said:

R2,880 is per person.

What irks me though, why is it about R1k pp cheaper to do it in a Team of 4.

Really holding thumbs that this one goes ahead! Im nicely fit and been putting in the hours. Its my first one so really hoping for the best. Although realistically I dont think the chances of it going ahead are very good. Especially after seeing that Around The Pot and Knysna Cycle Tour got the boot. 

On 6/28/2021 at 6:48 PM, Roul said:

What irks me though, why is it about R1k pp cheaper to do it in a Team of 4.

Because it is the TB and they can do it...........

43 minutes ago, Warrenlee said:

Really holding thumbs that this one goes ahead! Im nicely fit and been putting in the hours. Its my first one so really hoping for the best. Although realistically I dont think the chances of it going ahead are very good. Especially after seeing that Around The Pot and Knysna Cycle Tour got the boot. 

I am with you. Worked really hard after getting covid in December and struggled for 3 months to recover. I am more than happy to wait for a final call with 2 weeks to go. Things can change suddenly for the better. 

On 6/28/2021 at 6:21 PM, wessie12 said:

I think the organizers must hold out to end of July before making a call. We are at the low point now and things can only get better. 

Your optimism is touching. I hope you are right. But it is simply impossible to predict with certainty. Even as Gauteng drops off, other provinces may pick up. I don't know about other people, but in my milieu more people are getting sick and dying than I would have believed had somebody told me this would be the case three or four weeks ago.

37 minutes ago, wessie12 said:

I am with you. Worked really hard after getting covid in December and struggled for 3 months to recover. I am more than happy to wait for a final call with 2 weeks to go. Things can change suddenly for the better. 

Likewise also tested positive in December. I was lucky though. Bounced back really fast with no side effects. 

Right now we need to just stay motivated, positive and keep training until they make a call. No point in getting stressed out before the announcement gets made. 

Realistically I don't think it would go ahead, if we have a look at the allotted time (i.e. 24 hours) and compare that to the current curfew 04:00 - 21:00 you'll notice that the curfew only gives you 17 hours. If I then take the curfew times and overlay that with the revised starting times: "free flow" start between 05:00 & 08:00 then if you manage to start at 05:00 it leaves you with 15 hours to get to J-Bay (you will need to be at the mall at 20:00 to ensure you'll be indoors before the curfew). They are going to stop people at CP#5 if they don't reach it before a certain time. This will really p@ss me off if I had to pull out of the Baviaans at the 175 ish km mark, even if I get a medal there, I would still feel robbed. 

Then the other little niggle that I realized is: The sun only rises at around 07:15 or so, this means you'll have your lights and full kit on at the start and go down places like the Nuwekloof Pass in the dark and get close to CP#1 before the sun comes up (if you start at 05:00). At CP#1 you don't have any boxes so you'll carry your lights and or kit all the way to CP#3 (around 125km) before being able to ditch some of it. But at this point you would have to start thinking about the sun setting again and go into the dark once more. If you have a good battery which gives you around 10 hours then that's cool but most of the lights on the market either gives you a very bright beam for a short period of time or a not so bright beam for a long period of time. I fall within the first category when it comes to my light ????. The battery on my light lasts 02:23 on full (1800 Lumen) and I normally have 3 batteries. But I use my batteries for other stuff on the bike as well (my Polar only gives me around 8 hours so I have to give it some juice as well). Long story short, I guess what I am trying to say is that there's some additional admin one need to consider if the 2021 Baviaans goes ahead.

Capture.JPG

I cannot see that after the 14 days "lockdown level 4" that it will be lifted , it is only going to result in another 14 days. Positive numbers are growing in towns like Graaff Reinette, Aberdeen etc , Willowmore is just around the corner from there. Peeps from Gauteng will not be allowed to travel so catch 22........i hope i am wrong

Got this mail from them today

Trans Baviaans 24hr MTB Marathon - Covid-19 Update
2021/06/30

Dear Rider,

It feels like we have hit rewind and we are exactly at the same place we were a year ago. However unfair or unfortunate this may seem, it is simply the reality that we are facing.

We have realized that we made the call too early last year and, in hindsight we could have presented the Trans Baviaans in August 2020.
Based on those directives from last year, we are planning to wait for the current 2-week Level 4 restrictions to pass, before we make any decisions.
Our first and utmost priority is to present the event as it should be in August.

If the conditions are not favorable for the event to take place in August, we will postpone the event to September or October 2021.
We will make the exact date available as soon as we have made the final call. We understand and respect the fact that everyone needs to plan their lives, accommodation, and travel plans, and we therefore will not linger on the decision making.
We will make an announcement after the 11’th of July, when the 2-week imposed Level 4 has passed, and the President addresses the nation again.
We have a whole event to organize and plan and assure you that we are just as eager as you are to get moving on this.

The curfew remains a big question on everyone’s minds. First, we need to understand that we are talking about 20% of our riders that for whatever reason might not make the cut offs. For them, we will make a plan with a curfew sleep out.
We will move CP5 from the “Pakhuis” to the Komodomo Campsite where people will be able to camp and sleep the curfew out, then continue with their race from that point to the finish.
That said, our priority remains to get a curfew permit grant to host our event in its traditional 24hr concept.
Currently we are still planning to have a 5am free flow start system from Willowmore, giving everyone ample time to finish in Jbay before curfew.
We are constantly talking to the authorities, role players and our sponsors to monitor the situation.

Please know that we want the Trans to take place as much as you do, and we are doing everything in our power to make this happen.

Kind Regards,
Team EcoBound

Edited by RobertWhitehead

1 hour ago, Help.Me. said:

I cannot see that after the 14 days "lockdown level 4" that it will be lifted , it is only going to result in another 14 days. 

Exactly what Prof Mahdi says.

• 1 month later...

Seems it is a go for this event.  Any weather predictions from the people in that area? Long term shows rain and strong winds 

15 minutes ago, wessie12 said:

Seems it is a go for this event.  Any weather predictions from the people in that area? Long term shows rain and strong winds 

1870152388_WhatsAppImage2021-08-19at12_53_20.jpeg.03fb9c02ed960949cc1470e655752deb.jpeg

Ride forecast for 28 Aug 2021 06:00:

Temperature: 0 °C to 12 °C, feels like -3 °C to 12 °C
Wind: 8,6 to 15,1 km/h, with gusts up to 29,0 km/h
41% probability of precipitation

Looks like it's going to be a cold one!

The predicted wind direction is still changing everyday. Yesterday it showed a headwind all the way. Wouldn't trust this wind prediction until around next week Wednesday.

The wind and cold I can deal with. It's the rain I'm watching for and praying against.