Trans Baviaans 2021

pedal menace

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's looking like it's going to be a bloody cold ride gents! Solid wind from the West and temperature is not going much above 12. That start is going to be freezing! I'm still super amped though! 

I see sunrise time on Saturday is 6:48 AM. This means we going to have to start with our lights and ride with them the whole day ????

2 minutes ago, DogMTB said:

I see sunrise time on Saturday is 6:48 AM. This means we going to have to start with our lights and ride with them the whole day ????

We thinking of just putting normal lights on for the first hour or two that we are in the dark and then the big lights on later in the day. The earlier start also means that you going to be starting your ride in full winter kit and then during the day shedding some layers only to need them again later on when it starts getting dark. It's threading that fine balance between taking too much and not taking enough.

2 hours ago, Moult said:

It's looking like it's going to be a bloody cold ride gents! Solid wind from the West and temperature is not going much above 12. That start is going to be freezing! I'm still super amped though! 

I have done a few TB's and you'd want to do this route in cooler, rather than warmer conditions. Start with a headlight and mount a bike light at Bergplaas(3rd crate @ CP4), or finish the race with only a headlight. We did our 1st race or 2 with decent headlights only and I'd do it again. Remember that a team of 4 with headlights create sufficient light on the road to safely navigate your way. You do not have to cart along heavy equipment the entire distance, and the descend from Bergplaas will be done in broad daylight this year.

As for warm clothing at the start - ever tried shoving newspaper inside your shirt till the sun comes up? Lightweight arm warmers can be stashed inside your camelback or shirt pockets or a 2nd pair can be left in your Bergplaas crate should you shed your 1st set at Geelhoutbos(1st crate @ CP2).

Enjoy and don't overcook the first 100km ????

Dodgy whatsapp video also doing the rounds predicting snow for the weekend in the Willowmore/Baviaans area haha.. gonna be an adventure if it snows!

This is what Saturday's prediction looks like today:

Screenshot_20210823-123619_WhatsApp.jpg.7a077a1f6f314332fcf1dac76ae33074.jpg

Las the newspaper, looks like full winter kit all day long...

Thats a great weather app Johan - will you send me a link for the app please? 

30 minutes ago, 117 said:

Thats a great weather app Johan - will you send me a link for the app please? 

The app is called "Epic Ride Weather" on the Google Play Store.

I downloaded the Epic Weather app but have no clue how to use it, I find it confusing ????. Maybe I need to pay or something. I will be there on the 4th and hopefully the weather looks better

Hi Guys, it looks like it is going to be a cold Transbaviaans, I need to probably get some additional cold weather layers. Where is the best place in Cape Town for a one-stop solution for cold- and wet-weather riding gear?

Hello guys, does someone have a packing/checklist for each of the crates, willing to share? It is my first TB. I know it is very personal, but something to work with would put my mind to ease. Thanks.  

6 minutes ago, XZelle said:

Hello guys, does someone have a packing/checklist for each of the crates, willing to share? It is my first TB. I know it is very personal, but something to work with would put my mind to ease. Thanks.  

This year will be very different. Usually aiming for a 14-16 hour finish - we had some personal nutrition and a spare bomb or two in all 3 boxes, lights in the CP3 box and warm clothes in CP4 box.

05.00 start time will have you start with lights and warm clothes so will hardly have a need for boxes except for personal nutrition etc.

7 minutes ago, XZelle said:

I won't be too phased about packing stuff into the boxes. Our starting times are way earlier this year round so you'll end up needing your lights and warm clothes from the start. My suggestion is that you use the boxes for dry clothes (After Langwater i.e. CP#4) and a spare light / battery - also in CP#4. But other than that I would not focus too much on packing the boxes to the rim. 

One very important tip I can give is: You eat during the first 100km for the next 100km. So do not be shy to load up on food.

Good luck guys and girls. We drove most of the Baviaans a few weeks ago after the first snow but just before the really heavy weather that saw snow all over the area at road level. The corrugations are pretty terrible most of the way but at least the route is more interesting once it enters the nature reserve  section. Some sections of the descent on the pass before Smitkraal are more like a 4x4 route than ever. 

What do racers do about staying dry on the long river crossing sections of track? Just get wet feet and live with it? 

1 hour ago, XZelle said:

You don't need to pack anything in the boxes. If you are starting early you will have your lights and all clothing on yourself or bike. The issue in the past was you started at 10:00 and rode into the night. So most put lights and warm clothing in the boxes. There is no need for anything else in the boxes.

We have not used boxes for the 4 x TB. People make a bigger thing of it than need be.

My 4th TB. First one for the wife. We're doing the repeat. I decided to ride with her she was keen on trying. I'm still really bummed about the curfew situation, by my calculations we need 1-2 hours grace, max. 

Anyway we'll see how the whole camp over thing works, unless we're super lucky