Trans Baviaans 2021

pedal menace

I think guys also need to bear in mind that maybe they spent the morning trying to see if their plans, permits and allowances were still in order and what they needed to do legally to keep the event on track.

Replying 'we are working on the arrangements and will release a statement later' would have enraged everyone too.

It is a curveball for them, just as much as it is a curveball for everyone involved. It is also a large part of their livelihood, so maybe they are also just as anxious and concerned about whether they can run the evnt in Jan.

I dunno. It's just strange that people are so quick to shout at everyone about everything these days without much consideration.

IMHO it was ballsy to both attempt to host an event and ballsy to enter one. I haven't and won't so I don't find myself in a 'how dare they!' scenario when I k ew full well it was always going to be touch and go

Edited by Jewbacca

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think guys also need to bear in mind that maybe they spent the morning trying to see if their plans, permits and allowances were still in order and what they needed to do legally to keep the event on track.

Replying 'we are working on the arrangements and will release a statement later' would have enraged everyone too.

It is a curveball for them, just as much as it is a curveball for everyone involved. It is also a large part of their livelihood, so maybe they are also just as anxious and concerned about whether they can run the evnt in Jan.

I dunno. It's just strange that people are so quick to shout at everyone about everything these days without much consideration.

IMHO it was ballsy to both attempt to host an event and ballsy to enter one. I haven't and won't so I don't find myself in a 'how dare they!' scenario when I k ew full well it was always going to be touch and go

I had sympathy for the organisers until they opened August 2021 entries without having a contingency plan for Jan 2021 entrants. My team entered for Aug 2020 in December of 2019 - not too sure that was very balsy? 

There has been radio silence from the organisers - no responses to emails, limited responses to requests on social media. I can assure you that I would have felt a little better had they said " we are working on things and will release a statement later", more often than they did. Their standard reply to any question is "it will go ahead". This is evasive and it does nothing to assist in allaying the concerns of the Jan 2021 entrants.

Edited by Holmsie

Fair comment - I do think think they're still working things out, but by all sounds coming from their side the event is going to go ahead. I hope sense prevails. I think with the Christmas travel the country is likely to see a spike at the time of the event as everyone gets home. 

In terms of it being ballsy to enter the event - entries opened and closed last December already, way before Covid. 

I don't like being put in the position where I need to decide to give up a R8k investment in the event and accommodation or do the event and risk getting or spreading covid. In all honestly I'd hate to pick up covid and then infect a parent or friend who doesn't make it at the end of the day. Sure the likelihood is low, but is it worth and R8k chance?

In an ideal world it would be great if they could push it out to late March/April. 

As much as I want to ride a Summer TB, I think this is reckless from the organisers - the area has been declared a hotspot. Sad to see that decision is being driven by finances.

If you have kept your job and been drawing a salary throughout the length of this year, you are making that statement from a very very high horse.....

I would suggest that the August sales roll out has been planned and worked on long before uncle Cyril's speech last night was even planned.

One does not simply roll out an event and event entries in 8 hours.

I'm pretty sure Ecobound care very deeply for their reputation as a reputable event organiser and aren't trying to shaft anyone

Perhaps they do, but in my view the perception they have created is very different. 

They have yet to respond to a single email enquiry that I have sent, despite them requesting that we email them directly with our concerns.

Be that as it may, it is what it is. I'll stop my ranting as no amount of moaning from me will change a thing.

If you have kept your job and been drawing a salary throughout the length of this year, you are making that statement from a very very high horse.....

99% of the people complaining didn't prepare as they should have. There's hundreds of riders ready and responsible enough to make the Summer event a success. People must understand that Ecobound can't respond to everyone's 20 questions and demands. a decision was made and if you don't like it sell your ticket. If things change which is possible we just need to suck it up and accept it for what it is. This is financially extremely difficult times for event companies and if they are going to please everybody then we can kiss them goodbye.

Perhaps they do, but in my view the perception they have created is very different. 

They have yet to respond to a single email enquiry that I have sent, despite them requesting that we email them directly with our concerns.

Be that as it may, it is what it is. I'll stop my ranting as no amount of moaning from me will change a thing.

think of the offer to send them an email more of a means of gauging the entrants feelings around certain matters rather than a personal interaction.

he only personal interactions they can entertain will relate to your willingness and readiness to participate and therefore your entry status.

Asking questions that requires a crystal ball to answer,.....wel those are going to get parked till the crystal ball delivers an answer.

For what its worth, I'm ready to ride end of Jan, in fact I'm looking forward to it. If the event is cancelled well, I'll still have my job, my bike and a good surf season coming up in Autumn. The world keeps turning till racing returns

• 2 weeks later...

Eesh I'm very glad I'm not in Ecobounds' shoes now (even more than before). Have to feel for them.

Edited by Roul

And... it's cancelled. Unfortunately couldn't see it going any other way. Sad stuff for all involved.

yeah just heard the same.

So only WP XCO season to look forwar to now as I doubt that the Winelands race will come off.

What about Imbuko Big 5?

And the rider looses out yet again.

No refunds, not even 50 % (major costs has been incurred...so Team Ecobound pays all their service providers in full / 100 % before any service has been delivered ?)

What about Entry fees drawing interest for +/- year ?

Limited entries 150 teams per event will be transferred to Aug 2021, 2022 and likely the year 3000 on a first come basis...meaning a transfer is not guaranteed.

What about the rider’s expenses, not only the entry fee, but also flights, accommodation, bike transfers etc.

So tired of being the rider/client on the short end of cancelled MTB races.

Covid hit in March 2020. TB was originally scheduled for late August 2020. If they incurred their costs before they belately postponed that is a result of bad planning by Ecobound. I have found them to be unprofessional in this process.

Their approach of "no refunds" at this stage is unlawful because there is no clause in any T's and C's agreed to by riders allowing them to do so. The problem is it is not worth suing them for your entry fee.

Bad planning and a greedy approach means the riders get screwed while they make their buck without putting on an event.

How could they be so foolish to open the 2021 entries before holding the 2020 event? Now there will be little room for transfers (plus an undisclosed "admin fee") to 2021. Once again they make sure the riders take the loss while they smile at their profit.

Covid hit in March 2020. TB was originally scheduled for late August 2020. If they incurred their costs before they belately postponed that is a result of bad planning by Ecobound. I have found them to be unprofessional in this process.

Their approach of "no refunds" at this stage is unlawful because there is no clause in any T's and C's agreed to by riders allowing them to do so. The problem is it is not worth suing them for your entry fee.

Bad planning and a greedy approach means the riders get screwed while they make their buck without putting on an event.

How could they be so foolish to open the 2021 entries before holding the 2020 event? Now there will be little room for transfers (plus an undisclosed "admin fee") to 2021. Once again they make sure the riders take the loss while they smile at their profit.

as a rider or an organizer it was actually easy to see where things are going with events in the first 3 months  of 2021....there is no certainty ..and its reckless offering an event under pandemic conditions and with restrictive conditions...the approach has been a bit hopeful and reckless...