DIY carbon spraypaint

Zeffer

Hey experts

I am toying with the idea of refreshing my frame. Think of matt black.

The interwebs says you need to prep, prime, spray and laquer the frame. Loads of info available.

Local spraypaintplace will do it fro R2500

I am considering buying a Zoom spraypaint machine or similar for R500 and the paint from the place and try it myself. Seems like a lekke project.

Anyone attempted this as a DIY and willing to share experience?

Easy enough to do if you know what to do.

There are a number of threads where guys have painted their own frames. Have a search on this forum, some really nice paint jobs done. The type of paint and clear coat you use is important, you can get 2K in aerosol tins, this is the easiest. I painted my frame with matt black and a satin clear coat. Previously I used a panelbeater. As with any painting, prep is key.

I just bought some 2k spray cans and clear coat from Joe's Automotive in Benoni.

Before and after pics?

Going to be a while before I'm finished prepping the frame.

Cool, I was just interested. I've seen a place like cycleart does, so I'm keen to see the DIY approach for comparison.

Spray painting is like driving a forklift.

In theory it is easy, and with a bit of thought and being careful most people can do it and get okay results.

But to get great results consistently, one has to do it every day.

So it can be done, and it will probably be a very satisfying project, but just realise that the pros ask what they do, because they are good at it.

In theory it is easy, and with a bit of thought and being careful most people can do it and get okay results.

So it can be done, and it will probably be a very satisfying project, but just realise that the pros ask what they do, because they are good at it.

PhillipV, aka as "battery pisser Phil"

Thanks everyone - I am inspired to do this as a project.

Learned now that you can buy 2K paint in cans with hardener - dont need a spray gun or a Zoom machine.

I don't know hey, operating a forklift is easier than getting perfect spray painting results.

All the best with your project, hope you have a lot of fun doing it and that you are happy with the result!

I was strongly considering a DIY makeover on my Camber over the Christmas period, but wasn't that keen on doing that much work while praying for a proper finish and have instead dropped it off at Cycle Delic last week.