Ride Report - Tonteldoos and Beyond

T_Boss

Day 1 – A deceptively easy start

At 05:45 on a Friday morning, Cullinan was a rather sleepy town, excepting for 16 riders, that waited in front of the towns normally bustling restaurants, not entirely sure of what was to be expected of them over the next few days.

Luggage (and there was a lot of it, made its way into the follow car, and after a short rider briefing, where the best news was that everyone had been upgraded to Chalet accommodation for the entire tour (this will be the norm for future tours). Excited by the knowledge that no one would need to sleep on the floor in a tent for the next few nights, the group set off from Cullinan, at exactly 06:00, to tackle the 118km to Loskop Dam.

The route is a pretty easy ride (when measured against what awaits on day 2), that flows along district roads through some very enjoyable scenery, especially in the second half, after passing through Verena. From here, you get amazing views into the Olifants River Valley, as we rode along the upper boundary of the Loskop Dam Nature Reserve. The last 15 odd km is on tar, taking you past the dam wall, and then just for kicks, a short punchy climb before arriving at the entrance to Forever Resorts Loskop Dam, where we would spend the night. 

Check-in went smoothly, with all the riders arriving within a 45-minute window – not bad over 118km. After Check-in and being allocated rooms, everyone went off to enjoy a shower, and then a splash in the pools, before all getting together for lunch an a few drinks. 

The resorts in house restaurant also catered for a lovely dinner, that was thoroughly enjoyed by all, and then it was off to bed, to rest up for what tomorrow will bring. 

For the full text, and a lot more photos - click here: https://adventurelogistics.co.za/2020/11/24/tonteldoos-beyond-13-17-november-2020-ride-report/

post-46652-0-23622800-1606251315_thumb.jpg