Future of non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave the off topic threads. And leave them totally unmoderated. Just put a note up there that says play at your own risk.

And let us kill each other. It makes us happy, and gives a sense of purpose to our otherwise empty lives. Yes, I know there is some smart arse now who will tell me to go ride my bike or something.

My yellow border infused opinion says go with this.

My yellow border infused opinion says go with this.

Going to disagree here - I actually like some light moderation on threads, keeps things at least moderately civil. Once a discussion descends into the cesspool of unmoderated trolling, swearing and insults like what happens on Twitter and some other forums most decent people just lose interest and go somewhere else.  

For this very reason we'll quite soon be cutting down or even completely closing the Off Topic sections.

Between the demands for moderation (most issues arise from off topic squabbles) and the distraction from what Bike Hub is (or at least is intended to be), a resource for cyclists, it can't remain as-is

The simple reality is that we have to focus our limited resources on issues related to bikes... it is after all why this place exists.

I joined the Hub for the cycling content not the off topic stuff.I would miss a few like the Aviation one.

The endless pissing competitions like the Trump and Covid ones I certainly will not cry over

Going to disagree here - I actually like some light moderation on threads, keeps things at least moderately civil. Once a discussion descends into the cesspool of unmoderated trolling, swearing and insults like what happens on Twitter and some other forums most decent people just lose interest and go somewhere else.  

TBH i think the regular hub members do a good job of self Moderation already, its not that often that things get to the stage where moderators have to step in... mountains and molehills...

Admin probabaly doesn't agree tho…

TBH i think the regular hub members do a good job of self Moderation already, its not that often that things get to the stage where moderators have to step in... mountains and molehills...

Admin probabaly doesn't agree tho…

I think part of the reason hubbers are good at self moderation is because they know if they overstep the boundaries there are consequences. I get that the moderation is occasionally over-zealous but I would take that everyday over a free-for-all cesspool.

As long as people respect the "Sections" of the forum ....

"on topic sections" .... by all means, stay on topic.

But a "pub" type section allows people to go off topic, without eroding the topical subjects .... at least, as long as people self moderate ....

There is another forum with a hunting section ... and a CLEAR disclaimer "DONT enter if you have anything against hunting".

O-well, Matt and Nick KNOWS these basics .... they will make a decision either way, and what will be will be ....

if this forum quiets down I may have more time to spend on stuff around the house ....

I think part of the reason hubbers are good at self moderation is because they know if they overstep the boundaries there are consequences. I get that the moderation is occasionally over-zealous but I would take that everyday over a free-for-all cesspool.

Dont think the hub ever reached cess pool Levels, even in the days of and before LAnce's TDF Domination.... The Moderation has Always been subdued in the Background, very few Folks have been banned or accumulated many warning Points...when last did admin dish out a warning Point...

It doesnt really matter how self Moderation is achieved

Dont think the hub ever reached cess pool Levels, even in the days of and before LAnce's TDF Domination.... The Moderation has Always been subdued in the Background, very few Folks have been banned or accumulated many warning Points...when last did admin dish out a warning Point...

It doesnt really matter how self Moderation is achieved

I would imagine quite recently

That's true,I don't really that much,but it seems that they will disappear anyway.

As I said I think the trump thread should fade away after 21 Jan next year.  So should the Covid thread but that might take a bit longer.

I will second that

BTW what has happened to Slowbee?

I imagine he got 3 warning points in close proximity to each other

Sorri couldn't help myself

Was wondering the same thing, hope he is ok... being 2020 and covid season n all