Future of non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's just fine. Concentrating on his own stuff, stepping back from mod duties as, well, it's not worth the time.

There you have it

Just give fair warning before closing off topic discussion. I need to work on a profound last post...

I’d hate it to be something mundane like “+1” or “LOL”

LOL

And still no comment from MANAGEMENT

Typisch...

Probably to busy rolling out BIKEHUB PAYER

ching ching $$$

????

I (try) stay out of topics that appear to be sensitive/confrontational where I can’t add value, or my silence would be better served. As some have alluded to, we are all different but with a few mutual interest in common that isn’t just cycling.

Obviously Cycling should be the common denominator that brings many here, but as some have common interests outside of cycling, the Off Topic threads offer a lot of non-Cycling information from like-minded people. Aviation, music, TV, hobbies, running, current trends, football and the list goes on.

Please don’t get rid of it, but Admin could certainly offer a compromise that allows everyone to be happy.

If there’s a legal liability issue as hosts of the forum, then please say so, and not because some stirred up egos are being thrown about. It’s not nice to get caught up in the middle of some hot debate, but it happens - sometimes healthy tension/conflict brings up solutions to problems.

My solution would be to have a star rating for hot/sensitive topic. If it gets a little too hot under the collar, then it can be marked as a sensitive thread.

I still agree on mods, but perhaps it can be addressed via the “report” button. Hell, I’d offer to moderate based on receiving a prompt that a specific thread has a report button used. Not a moderator for all threads, but selected ones - more mods spread over the range of threads (overlapping of course, in case on person is offline).

Bikehub will cease to exist the day off topic chats are canned. Its the glue keeping this place together since day 1.

There are plenty of forums out there for bike and kit reviews,race info,new releases and classifieds.

Facebook market place is fast be come the place to sell bikes and cycling related items.

I’m here for the chit chats and daily debates to take my mind off things[emoji106][emoji3]

Close the chit chats and this forum will topple.

We learn a lot about each other from the off topic chats. Sometimes it is nice to know more about a cycling connection. Not all of us only ride, we have other interests. I don't feel like belonging to 20 different forums focused purely on the main feature. As I type this, the top off topic threads are about woodwork, pets, wearing a watch and JSE investing. Just imagine talking to people on only those subjects.

Take away anonymous usernames. Bet you a billion zim dollars people will choose their words carefully when they are not hiding behind a false username.

Truth.

I aim to govern myself as I want to be aware of the energy that I bring with my typed words:

'Would I say this to someone's face?'

The answer determines whether I type ahead. 

EDIT: grammar  :huh:

Edited by 'Dale