Future of non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

Sometimes I really miss the old hub. When I was allowed to post a pic of my receptionists boobs for rating by hub members. Then I also miss the free for all fights that we used to  have. Like a rugby match in the 80's, the mods would sit back and let us moer each other. Afterwards, a few friendly warnings, a few warning points, a 30 day ban or two and we were ready for the next fight. Good days in a way but also rather silly and childish.

I shudder to think of some of the shite I caused here. 

All in all I am happy that rules are enforced more strictly now. Keeps idiots like me in check.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, ChrisF said:

And the reality is that the off-topic posts ARE still very much available, and still very active.

Time vs reward .... some of the threads are truly toxic, and without moderation may well open the Moderators up to legal action  (sadly that is the stupid reality of this modern era).    

Where to buy or sell .... very little difference between the different platforms.  That was BEFORE "Hub Pay", which offers a lot of protection for both parties, especially for those long distance sales.

The new look.... :thumbup: :clap:

There is also some VERY poor moderating happening too.

A Hillcrest clown comes to mind.

12 hours ago, Eldron said:

You can't possibly own a Spesh - you have a Cotic logo as your avatar. Cotic owners are cool.

Does not compute!

And Specialized owners are not? Why not both?

I really don't need the off topic sections but I enjoy participating in a good honest robust discussion on topics that I deem important to me. So removing these won't be a train smash but it will mean that I will spend less time on here and if there are a lot of members like me then this will have  negative impact on the advertising revenue for the site as  a whole, fortunately this is not my decision. However, I must say that there has been a trend over the last 4-5 years of people not bothering with the honest debate aspect but resorting to disingenuous trolling in contentious topics for entertainment value. These lead to fights, reporting of posters and a lot of unnecessary work for admin. My solution is once you recognise the troll put him or her on the ignore list  because it is impossible to have a decent debate with these people in any case so why bother. Unfortunately not everyone does this and the we end up with silly fights and this thread, but if more people did this the trolls wouldn't have an audience and they wouldn't last because they won't get the attention they crave.

I can honestly say that I have not really bothered with the reporting function (other than spam) as I prefer to take personal responsibility for sorting out things myself. To me it's a bit like choosing which pub I am happy to visit and which ones are unpleasant to be in, just stay out of the latter, simple.

15 hours ago, Vetseun said:

Sometimes I really miss the old hub. When I was allowed to post a pic of my receptionists boobs for rating by hub members.

Start a thread like that on mybroadband ... It will grow to 10 pages in two hours and will cover everything from racism to religion and politics all in one thread. 

54 minutes ago, Skott5 said:

Start a thread like that on mybroadband ... It will grow to 10 pages in two hours and will cover everything from racism to religion and politics all in one thread. 

Limit or outright ban these topics / discussions / threads and there will be less bickering and moderation required....simple rule of life.

There should be no need to introduce a blanket ban on non cycling related threads, there are quite a few of these already in existence that do not need any moderation. 

Poor or lack of moderation has allowed the bickering and fighting threads to get out of hand, and then they get locked long after the horse has bolted or the low blows thrown.  

2 hours ago, Skott5 said:

1 hour ago, SwissVan said:

Limit or outright ban these topics / discussions / threads and there will be less bickering and moderation required....simple rule of life.

There should be no need to introduce a blanket ban on non cycling related threads, there are quite a few of these already in existence that do not need any moderation. 

Poor or lack of moderation has allowed the bickering and fighting threads to get out of hand, and then they get locked long after the horse has bolted or the low blows thrown.  

This gets my vote - ban religion, politics, racism and sexism. Add a reporting function where readers can flag a post and list which of these it violates.

Cyclists have a lot in common, from swimming pool pumps through woodwork, load shedding, getting divorced, emigrating and not getting recovering from covid. Discouraging these topics would remove a lot of interest, a lot of activity and many page views from the forum.

Edited by i24

2 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Quite right...however, if it was properly moderated you and the small group who boer and bicker and fight on those threads would not be here and it would be a much quieter place.

Some big bait being used on this thread. I suspect it will end in being locked. ????

problem is not opinions, problem is the lack of many who fail to see any alternatives but their own. Then it resorts to name calling an the trolls use words like arse@&le. Advocating the use of the ignore function makes one ignorant. Nothing more. Like a petulant child. 

Bike hub is owned, run and funded not by me thus I have no say in the rules or how it’s run. My participation brings only advertisers revenue. They make the rules I adhere or don’t log in. My only concern is for those poor ppl that used to vent on the Covid thread. Will they now vent at home? ???? and Fauci’s released emails are very telling. Easier to fool ppl than convince them they have been fooled. 

internet is littered with sites that were once hugely popular like MySpace, old news 24 chat rooms, yahoo, ask Jeeves , Facebook ( yeah yeah) as the net is in a constant state of flux. 

Cycling is big business. Viva bike hub viva. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

On 6/2/2021 at 3:29 PM, Eldron said:

<snip>

Now I'll have to call them Specialized riders. I'm pretty sure that is worse.

tenor.gif

19 hours ago, Vetseun said:

Sometimes I really miss the old hub. When I was allowed to post a pic of my receptionists boobs for rating by hub members. Then I also miss the free for all fights that we used to  have. Like a rugby match in the 80's, the mods would sit back and let us moer each other. Afterwards, a few friendly warnings, a few warning points, a 30 day ban or two and we were ready for the next fight. Good days in a way but also rather silly and childish.

I shudder to think of some of the shite I caused here. 

All in all I am happy that rules are enforced more strictly now. Keeps idiots like me in check.

I can't remember, was that a thread on its own or was if part of the COFBA or Carpie looking for a boyfriend thread?

en het daai jou nie 'n paar dae in die tjoekie gekos nie? 

17 hours ago, i24 said:

This gets my vote - ban religion, politics, racism and sexism. Add a reporting function where readers can flag a post and list which of these it violates.

Cyclists have a lot in common, from swimming pool pumps through woodwork, load shedding, getting divorced, emigrating and not getting recovering from covid. Discouraging these topics would remove a lot of interest, a lot of activity and many page views from the forum.

Pretty sure racism and sexism is already no go.

There's nothing wrong with topics on religion or political issues, but the problem lies with the people with polarising views that drive it from a constructive discussion.

Banning it outright is a coarse but effective solution, although healthy debate is thrown out at the same time.