Future of non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

do hubbers actually message the site operators to complain about other hubbers?

I thought we left "teeeeeacher, teeeeacher, Johny called me a poeth"  behind in primary school

Oh no...There are some rats here.....????

Edited by Mojoman

17 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

I thought we left "teeeeeacher, teeeeacher, Johny called me a poeth"  behind in primary school

There are unacceptable utterances that have no place in society. On the Palestine vs Israel thread someone was called a Radical Islamist Terrorist, or something very similar, can't remember the exact phrasing. 

Surely we can agree that such posts need to be removed? Admin looks at the Reported Posts and decide how to act in each case.

31 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

Many forums are reliant on the community to report offensive content. I don't see anything wrong with that. 

1 hour ago, MTBeer said:

You wont believe

1 hour ago, MTBeer said:

Some will even start whole new threads for that purpose.

spacer.png

50 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

There are unacceptable utterances that have no place in society. On the Palestine vs Israel thread someone was called a Radical Islamist Terrorist, or something very similar, can't remember the exact phrasing. 

Surely we can agree that such posts need to be removed? Admin looks at the Reported Posts and decide how to act in each case.

Less post removing, more poster warnings.

1 hour ago, MTBeer said:

they walk among us... they are in fact the poetheth

And this last page is why they want to remove parts of the forums.

If offensive posts are left to stand and someone reports the site to the ethics board, then Matt et al get hauled over the coals or fined or shut down.

Reporting posts and posters for what are breaches in acceptable public behaviour is necessary. Necessary for the site and also necessary for everyone. 

I don't want to read posts where people are being bigots or outright homophobic or sexist. It isn't good for anyone to allow that.

Calling people names etc for cleaning up someones mess shows how toxic some people's default settings are. The real (insert whatever P word you used above) are those who think it's ok to actually think like that AND post on a public forum.

Liability exists

EDIT: I am no offended snowflake, but I do think it's hugely shortsighted and schoolyard bullyish to suggest that having Matt's back for all our sake is akin to being a teachers pet. Introspection might be needed

Edited by Jewbacca

1 minute ago, gemmerbal said:

i have been called a bigot many times on here. sticks and stones...

And you don't think that perhaps it's you who might need to look at why different people seem to call you the same thing multiple times?

The common denominator is usually a pretty good indicator as to where to start.

I'm not in the business of name calling, but just suggesting that multiple occurrences with the same outcome might mean there is something to look at. 

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

And you don't think that perhaps it's you who might need to look at why different people seem to call you the same thing multiple times?

The common denominator is usually a pretty good indicator as to where to start.

I'm not in the business of name calling, but just suggesting that multiple occurrences with the same outcome might mean there is something to look at. 

no

4 hours ago, MTBeer said:

are those tyres made from Lego?

I shudder to think what the replacement cost and endurance lifecycle of those tyres are. They are clearly not made for driving around on tar.

2 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I shudder to think what the replacement cost and endurance lifecycle of those tyres are. They are clearly not made for driving around on tar.

but the people that do that to their bakkie love the whirr whirr whirrr the tyres make on tar. (at least it gives us road cyclist fair warning of the approaching double cab from behind)

Just now, ouzo said:

but the people that do that to their bakkie love the whirr whirr whirrr the tyres make on tar. (at least it gives us road cyclist fair warning of the approaching double cab from behind)

I have General Grabber A/T's on my bakkie, which it comes with as stock standard. Those things have knobby sidewalls too, but nothing as extreme as this. It's fine for going off-road with sure, but on tar, which sadly constitutes 99% of my driving these days, it only adds to the fuel consumption caused by rolling resistance.

And if you hear my tyres over the whistle of the turbo somethings wrong...the turbo on my bakkie is LOUD. I dunno why though.