Future of non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

Second hand bakkie prices is killing the 4x4 forum! All driven by the dumbasses falling or the bakkie marketing hype! All you need is a Datsun. 

Phew, luckily my white double cab is a datsun(well sort of, nissan-datsun, same thing..........)????

16 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Friend of mine has an import agreement to be the sole distributor of Solar-charged golf cars for a specific brand. 

I can see myself swapping our one vehicle for such a thing to scoot to the shop for groceries and for the school run. All are within 2kms from home. 

Our cars are being used so little these days that I am struggling to keep the car batteries alive, no jokes! 

We spilt our time between Jhb and Cape Town - two week shifts.- because I am still in WFH situation. So I disconnect the battery of the car that won't get driven during while we are away. But like you I find that I am riding my bikes about 180kms a week and driving about 10kms a week. 

I live in a little hub of convenience - everything I need to buy or eat is within a 3km radius of both homes.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

And if you hear my tyres over the whistle of the turbo somethings wrong...the turbo on my bakkie is LOUD. I dunno why though.

Yeah, its a real mystery...

Capture.JPG.a5824b20020e595b0ebfbba76785f17a.JPG

7 minutes ago, I FLY said:

We spilt our time between Jhb and Cape Town - two week shifts.- because I am still in WFH situation. So I disconnect the battery of the car that won't get driven during while we are away. But like you I find that I am riding my bikes about 180kms a week and driving about 10kms a week. 

I live in a little hub of convenience - everything I need to buy or eat is within a 3km radius of both homes.

get yourself a battery maintenance charger. CTEK is the most popular but they are expensive, you get other makes too.

I've got this on my private vehicle. Having a company car means the private car does around 2000km a year, so I simply plug it in when I park it, when I want to use it I know the battery at least is charged.

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

get yourself a battery maintenance charger. CTEK is the most popular but they are expensive, you get other makes too.

I've got this on my private vehicle. Having a company car means the private car does around 2000km a year, so I simply plug it in when I park it, when I want to use it I know the battery at least is charged.

I've got one, but it is a shlep to plug it in constantly. Do you have it wired permanently and utilize the quick-release clip, or do you open the bonnet every time and place the crocodile clips on the battery terminals each time?

Look, the shlep is is worth it to not replace the battery every year, but it feels like something that should be easier to manage. Thus my thinking of wiring it in permanently.

4 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

I've got one, but it is a shlep to plug it in constantly. Do you have it wired permanently and utilize the quick-release clip, or do you open the bonnet every time and place the crocodile clips on the battery terminals each time?

Look, the shlep is is worth it to not replace the battery every year, but it feels like something that should be easier to manage. Thus my thinking of wiring it in permanently.

mine is permanently wired, so using the quick release.

Battery is in the boot so I've routed the plug to come out on the side of the boot floor. I have the charger hanging on the wall of the garage where the boot stops. So its easy, pull car in, open boot, plug in the charger, close boot and lock the car.

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

mine is permanently wired, so using the quick release.

Battery is in the boot so I've routed the plug to come out on the side of the boot floor. I have the charger hanging on the wall of the garage where the boot stops. So its easy, pull car in, open boot, plug in the charger, close boot and lock the car.

That makes sense. ????