The Munga 2020

JohanDiv

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Rohloff for this sort of thing is perfect.

It would be my weapon of choice too re gears as you don't have to carry.

Nice piece of kit. Lifetime warranty on the internals too... You send them your internals through their shipping account and they send you a refurbished one, new oil, new plastic drive bushings and a new sump plug/grub screw.

Lovely from a maintenance POV but they weigh a ton and belt drives are less efficient than chains. Although I guess you could run it with a chain too. 

What is the situation with drafting this year? Are they still adopting the laissez-faire approach of "draft away, as long as you don't want any prize money"?

Just a question about the 120 hour cut off flag. Do you have to be ahead of this or you get loaded into a car ? Or is this an indication of where you have to be to have a chance to make the finish ? 

Lovely from a maintenance POV but they weigh a ton and belt drives are less efficient than chains. Although I guess you could run it with a chain too. 

Ja, like I said, cool if you don't have to carry the bike.

It becomes awkwardly weighted, so on a tourer/commuter/gravel road basher it is perfect.

As soon as you need to carry it, get air, ride over anything too technical the awkward weight becomes something you need to account for.

If I was riding my bike round the world or doing big tours it would be 1st on my list of must have's. As it is with work and baby etc, I will be dong none of the above.

Thanks Johan, I am forever and a day jealous of what these guys and girls are doing.  Nothing but admiration for each of them.

Yeah me too! I WILL do The Munga one day!!

If I can get an entry sponsored, I'll do it next year, haha I'll even send updates here straight from the race...skimp skimp  :whistling:

Just a question about the 120 hour cut off flag. Do you have to be ahead of this or you get loaded into a car ? Or is this an indication of where you have to be to have a chance to make the finish ? 

It's just an indication.. in the past there were people behind the flag going up Bains, and then made up time down Bains to finish just a few minutes ahead of the flag

The flag also just moves at a constant speed and doesn't increase/slow down as terrain changes allowing for more/less speed.

Edited by JohanDiv

I think if you are way behind timewise at an RV, they can mark you out - tends to be some leniency though. I know some riders have been allowed to complete the riding even once technically out of time, but obviously then they may also not get anything at a WP or RV if it's packed and gone.

Yeah me too! I WILL do The Munga one day!!

If I can get an entry sponsored, I'll do it next year, haha I'll even send updates here straight from the race...skimp skimp  :whistling:

I'm definitely doing this next year, the FOMO is unbearable .... I'll do whatever I need to do to get there  :D  :D 

What happened to Thinus Redelinghuys?

Looks like he slept for 5 hours last night. Is he just taking it easy this year?

She is also a friend of mine, been following her progress too. She commented how twisty the trails were and that you couldn't distinguish between hardpack and soft sand in the dark....she is doing well for a first time racer.

She'll be coming up on the famous "fridge in the middle of nowhere" soon ...

post-6347-0-02784200-1606986279_thumb.jpg

(photo from 2018)

For a moment, we thought it was the actual waterpoint .... ;)

Edited by walkerr

I see another one of the participants is Philip Boardman, he is 70 this year. What a guy!!!!

Scratched last year, but back again and doing well this year. :thumbup: 

Insane! Massive respect.