The Munga 2020

JohanDiv

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The tail enders are in Tankwa, some tough riding there.Wonder what the wind is doing down the tankwa padstal road.That can either help them to make it or destroy them.

Go go go.

Isimangaliso....such a lekker event...rode it in 2016

Dont know the event but certainly know the area.Lake Sibaya in particular

Edited by Kranswurm

Three riders up against the clock needing to finish the last 70 to 80 km at an average of 15kph JM , CS and TR.

Hi everybody

Let's me start by thanking Vetseun and his family for their hospitality. Not only is he a demon on the bike, he also knows his way around the Braai.

Now for the race. I was felling good when race started and did my normal slow start planning to put longer hours in. After the first waterpoint (30km) I joined a group of 4 and we plodded along nicely when all of a sudden I got attacked by cramps from all sides. I have never cramped before but knew I had to keep going and ride/walk it off.

At next WP I loaded up on food, pills, drinks, gels and wherever else I could find.

At 120km sore throat and a bloody ear pain made my ride miserable. Two strepsels in Medical kit help me to at least swallow my drinks and bars.

Could not keep going for longer than 30 minutes and started alternating between cycling, walking and lying next to the road. At CP1 no power. GPS dead, power bank depleted and phone on 10%. Medic took my power bank to another station to charge and later return it.

As many may know, I get lost going to the loo!!! Now I had to use the tracking skills I acquired at RASA. This slowed me down even more, I had a turtle running past me at one point.

MY condition did not improve and the SMS from home had very clear instructions. 'stop now before we call race office'.

That is why I am sitting by the pool now feeling sorry for myself.

Thanks for visiting Pal and sharing your RASA war stories.

Was lekker to have you here.

Hard lines on your DNF, it happens.

No one can ever question your toughness.

Next time!

They should be fine.. it's downhill from Ceres on tar road where they'll pull a nice gap on the Cut Banner.. and then good gravel to the finish

Agreed it doesn't look like we are in for any photo finishes this year.

Last riders almost home - thanks all on here for bringing some life to all the dots, definitely made up for not actually being able to be there.

Every year I wonder what emotions are playing out as you are approaching the finish with 20kms to go. Especially if your body is starting to breakdown and you are riding with one leg only. :eek:

Every year I wonder what emotions are playing out as you are approaching the finish with 20kms to go. Especially if your body is starting to breakdown and you are riding with one leg only. :eek:

Definitely save up those Rs and have a go - nothing like experiencing the pain and elation for yourself. Brutal, but worth every penny and kilometre