Casette Spacer

JJDT

I had a broken spoke replaced by my LBS on Monday. Last night when riding the chain was slipping in gear 6. When looking at the casette I saw this plastic spacer between the cogs. I thought that it has moved thus removed the wheel and removed the casette. This spacer is a one side only fit but never had this issue before my spoke replacement.

It seems like some sort of spider spacer (never seen one before).

Question can I repalced it with the normal plastic spacer or can I just cut the "fingers" of the spacer?

post-13049-0-87177100-1606397390_thumb.jpg

post-13049-0-57511500-1606397429_thumb.jpg

I had a broken spoke replaced by my LBS on Monday. Last night when riding the chain was slipping in gear 6. When looking at the casette I saw this plastic spacer between the cogs. I thought that it has moved thus removed the wheel and removed the casette. This spacer is a one side only fit but never had this issue before my spoke replacement.

It seems like some sort of spider spacer (never seen one before).

Question can I repalced it with the normal plastic spacer or can I just cut the "fingers" of the spacer?

attachicon.gif20201126_145912_1.jpg

attachicon.gif20201126_145956_1.jpg

Go to your LBS and ask for a cassette spacer. They have boxes of the stuff lying around. Just match it with the correct “speed”. They usually have a number on. Is there perhaps another removable spacer somewhere on the cassette? This one looks like it needs to sit further back as to avoid that issue you are highlighting. Maybe they lost yours and replaced it with this thing lol. You are right...they are usually just a washer looking thing.

Edit: But otherwise i’d cut it down a few mm without issue

Edited by morneS555

That spacer belongs on the cassette, but more towards the back of it where the larger cogs are. I recently took apart my old SLX 11 spd cassette to clean it and saw this spacer.

Maybe it was incorrectly put back. If you have the tools, just take off the cassette, remove all cogs and put back together patiently. It will eventually make sense and come together. You will see the old markings on the cogs of where this spacer was, do not cut off the arms.

Edited by Wimmas

I would also bring it to your LBS attention. The mechanic that worked on that wheel should maybe pay attention when working. Rookie error as far as i’m concerned.

Jip, rookie error ...

Many cassettes are "single units" ... every so often you remove a cassette and you end with a bucket full of bits ....

Pros should know how these bits fit together. The rest of us needs to take note of the order of the bits ....

Just pay attention, take the odd photo .... it is not rocket science.