Little Springy thing on a QR

eddy

What exactly (precisely) does that little springy thing do ?

I seem to have lost one. Will my wheel fall off, or will I fall off ?

Until I can get two, which side should I put the one I have on to stop a catastrophe, the lever side or the other side ?

What exactly (precisely) does that little springy thing do ?

I seem to have lost one. Will my wheel fall off, or will I fall off ?

Until I can get two, which side should I put the one I have on to stop a catastrophe, the lever side or the other side ?

They are so flimsy, I can't see their benefit while the QR is already locked tight.

My best bet is that they keep the skewer equally spaced on the wheel, for when you want to slot it in the grooves of the frame. Without the springs, the skewer might sit to one side, leaving a large gap for the frame slot on the one end and being pressed up against the wheel on the other side.

With the springs in place, it means the spacing on both sides should be roughly equal. Allowing you to slot the wheel in place without fiddling too much with the QR.

PS. Just a theory...

With the springs in place, it means the spacing on both sides should be roughly equal. Allowing you to slot the wheel in place without fiddling too much with the QR  (QUOTE)

Spot on .Remember that the big side of the spring spacer fits against the quick release . 

Edited by FirstV8

They are so flimsy, I can't see their benefit while the QR is already locked tight.

My best bet is that they keep the skewer equally spaced on the wheel, for when you want to slot it in the grooves of the frame. Without the springs, the skewer might sit to one side, leaving a large gap for the frame slot on the one end and being pressed up against the wheel on the other side.

With the springs in place, it means the spacing on both sides should be roughly equal. Allowing you to slot the wheel in place without fiddling too much with the QR.

PS. Just a theory...

This is the answer. It makes it so that the quick release is in fact quick and you don't have to fiddle to remove the wheel. It automatically spaces the nuts so there's no obstruction. Try taking the springs out and then see how fiddly it gets.