Rapidé Tigre Hardtail Frame

MORNE

Hi All,

Great handling bike - built it up a couple of months ago as a single speed, just after Wayne put them on the market.

(Will still change to Rapide wheels and a Rapide dropper, probably gears and a Pike fork for more rowdy riding days.) 

post-117964-0-99111500-1612956534_thumb.jpg

post-117964-0-91369500-1612956548_thumb.jpg

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very neat, like the red color!  Total weight just for interest sake?

Edited by TheoG

Very neat, like the red color!  Total weight just for interest sake?

You wouldn't build a steel bike if you were too worried about weight.  :-)

But, I would say the frame is probably just under 3kg.  Wayne could validate that better as my scale is a bit dodgy.   Total weight as it stands as a SS - is about 11,5kg.   So compared to an average carbon hardtail - the frame is about 1,5 to 1,75kg heavier.

If you wanted it to be lighter with similar spec - you could go for lighter tyres, etc

Hi All,

Great handling bike - built it up a couple of months ago as a single speed, just after Wayne put them on the market.

(Will still change to Rapide wheels and a Rapide dropper, probably gears and a Pike fork for more rowdy riding days.) 

Can you give us some feedback on how it rides please? Thanks

Can you give us some feedback on how it rides please? Thanks

Only ridden around Gauteng so far, but handles really well.  Did a 100km+ ride on singletrack and corrugated dirt roads and certainly felt fresher afterwards compared to a carbon hardtail (and it is single speed).  Seems to take out the vibrations quite a bit.  On the more technical downhill, rocky, singletrack - the slacker head angle feels great.  And climbs comparably to any of my other bikes.

You wouldn't build a steel bike if you were too worried about weight.  :-)

But, I would say the frame is probably just under 3kg.  Wayne could validate that better as my scale is a bit dodgy.   Total weight as it stands as a SS - is about 11,5kg.   So compared to an average carbon hardtail - the frame is about 1,5 to 1,75kg heavier.

If you wanted it to be lighter with similar spec - you could go for lighter tyres, etc

That's very light. My On One HT with 160 Pike and a relatively heavy build weights 13.75.

Any mathematicians here? How would this frame ride with a 100mm fork? Would it work?

Nevermind, I answered my own question, went to check the specs.

Edited by Super Sywurm

• 3 months later...

Finally managed to complete my build yesterday, have just been up and down the road with it to see that everything works as it should, will take it out for a proper ride on Saturday.

Tried to keep the costs down, though bike bits have become very expensive (when available), had to beg, borrow and steal off my other bikes to get it done.  Thanks to friends in high places, I could source everything I needed in times when stock availability has been a mission (apparently the rims are 1 of the last 2 pairs of Spank rims available in the country).

Learnt some new stuff along the way, like lacing rims and hubs.  Now to ride it...!

Rapide_Tigre.jpeg

11 hours ago, Stretched@Birth said:

Finally managed to complete my build yesterday, have just been up and down the road with it to see that everything works as it should, will take it out for a proper ride on Saturday.

Tried to keep the costs down, though bike bits have become very expensive (when available), had to beg, borrow and steal off my other bikes to get it done.  Thanks to friends in high places, I could source everything I needed in times when stock availability has been a mission (apparently the rims are 1 of the last 2 pairs of Spank rims available in the country).

Learnt some new stuff along the way, like lacing rims and hubs.  Now to ride it...!

Rapide_Tigre.jpeg

Have my eye on this one.

Keep us updated on how it rides.

18 hours ago, Stretched@Birth said:

Rapide_Tigre.jpeg

Nice couch!