Rapidé Tigre Hardtail Frame

MORNE

46 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Nice couch!

Haha, I knew that comment was coming...  How do you like the stand though...?  May be available for sale soon.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Stretched@Birth said:

Haha, I knew that comment was coming...  How do you like the stand though...?  May be available for sale soon.

very smart - that's what was referring too. not that hunkajunk behind it!

just gone through the process of building up a gravel bike from frame myself...trying to piece some of the small spares was a mission of note (like going to three shops to get olives and barbs) - bike looks legit, well done!

4 hours ago, Shebeen said:

very smart - that's what was referring too. not that hunkajunk behind it!

just gone through the process of building up a gravel bike from frame myself...trying to piece some of the small spares was a mission of note (like going to three shops to get olives and barbs) - bike looks legit, well done!

That hunkajunk behind it is what my wife got instead of a new couch, so that she can try to earn her keep... ????  CNC Laser Cutter/Engraver, fun toy/tool to have!

On 5/17/2021 at 12:07 PM, Stretched@Birth said:

Finally managed to complete my build yesterday, have just been up and down the road with it to see that everything works as it should, will take it out for a proper ride on Saturday.

Tried to keep the costs down, though bike bits have become very expensive (when available), had to beg, borrow and steal off my other bikes to get it done.  Thanks to friends in high places, I could source everything I needed in times when stock availability has been a mission (apparently the rims are 1 of the last 2 pairs of Spank rims available in the country).

Learnt some new stuff along the way, like lacing rims and hubs.  Now to ride it...!

Rapide_Tigre.jpeg

I want one!

On 5/21/2021 at 8:17 PM, Nic Brigando said:

Just ordered my Tigre frame! 

Going to build it up as a single speed with a rigid fork first off, and then upgrade to a suspension fork further down the line! Will post pics when the build comes together. Very excited! 

I think I might be in love.

Here's a quick pic of the first build - I used a carbon fork and set it up single speed, had to change the drop outs as I only had quick release wheels available. A quick ride at Wolwespruit gave me all the info I needed - the geometry is amazing, the frame smooths ALL the small bumps out and is comparable if not better than some of the newer carbon hardtails with flex stays (Silverback Superspeed was my reference, and it feels very similiar.) Bigger bumps felt as expected from a rigid setup, but can be fixed with a suspension fork. First build weighs in at 11.3kg, more than light enough for an average rider like me.

Single speed was a bit rough up wolwe's tougher climbs (34t-20t,) but the descents were legendary. Centre of gravity is low, fast and centered, as a modern bike should be, and even with the rigid fork I was able to comfortably complete everything wolwe has to offer (besides the jump track!)

Planning to throw a set of 30mm rapide sl rims on as soon as the boost hubs are back in stock - then just need to decide between a 120mm Marzocchi Z2 or a 140mm Pike :P then some form of 12 speed and of course, a dropper, to round out the build.

If you're looking for steel hardtail perfection, this is it!

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-27 at 15.41.43.png

Edited by Nic Brigando

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone done some serious trial riding (big jumps, drops etc.) on one of these?

Very curious how they hold up to some hard riding.

5 hours ago, HugoPretorius said:

In the words of Bruce Wayne “ does it come in black? ‘

Yes... White, Red and Black. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, has anyone taken their Tigre's out for a spin? What is your findings? 

Im considering getting one or a Dartmoor Primal Frame for a build project , which would you suggest?

On 6/22/2021 at 11:04 PM, WT said:

Has anyone done some serious trial riding (big jumps, drops etc.) on one of these?

Done everything on wolwespruit on mine - super smooth and set my fastest time down the new (single black) flowline. Definitely the most fun I've had on a bike by far!

For reference I've got an MRP Loop fork - build pic attached! Bike definitely prefers harder, bigger features :)ie1zLnUL-chyqFDkE4uMLYz0656deTCa-vqUZnnk0zw-1536x2048.jpg.094f4d082ddd9a825fc3f0d87455be12.jpg

11 hours ago, Nic Brigando said:

Done everything on wolwespruit on mine - super smooth and set my fastest time down the new (single black) flowline. Definitely the most fun I've had on a bike by far!

For reference I've got an MRP Loop fork - build pic attached! Bike definitely prefers harder, bigger features :)ie1zLnUL-chyqFDkE4uMLYz0656deTCa-vqUZnnk0zw-1536x2048.jpg.094f4d082ddd9a825fc3f0d87455be12.jpg

Good to know those frames are solid. I was considering getting one for a build but ended up going another way.

Good looking bike that! Still waiting to see a build with a black frame though.

That new black flow line sure is a lot of fun!

I like riding up hills with my on-one, but I know I will LOVE riding down hills on the Tigre…..

On 6/22/2021 at 11:04 PM, WT said:

Not serious trail riding by any stretch of the imagination, but I took mine for a spin around Thaba Trails on Sunday morning.  Thaba is fairly rough, rocky with lots of short, steep ups and downs, the longer downhills are quite rocky too.  I found the bike climbs really nicely, and on the downs it feels like I'm too slow for the bike, if that makes any sense.  It's like the bike just wants to go faster and I'm holding back.  As my confidence builds, I'll get off the brakes more and let it rip, it definately instills a lot of confidence.  One thing I did find is that it requires quite a bit of "body english" to change direction, your riding style needs to be quite aggressive.

I can see I'm going to have a lot of fun on this bike!