Bike box rental

Ivan Bergman

Hi All,

First time posting a new topic so if this isn't in the right place, feel free to move it :)

I'm traveling from Jhb to Cpt for the festive season and would like to take my bike along with me, thus I need a bike box as I'm flying. I have contacted a few rental companies and none of which do one-way travel. I'll only be using the box for my flight from Jhb to Cpt and a few weeks thereafter Cpt to Jhb and really don't see the worth in paying for 3 weeks worth of rental if I'm only going to use it for 2 days in total. - It ends up costing as much as a 2nd hand box, which is a lot.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Get a cardboard bike box from your local bike shop...

What this guy said. 

Get a cardboard box from your LBS.

Get your LBS to pack the bike

Get them to leave the top open

stuff some extra bits like bubble wrap and kneepads (if you have them) into the box

write your name and contact details on a few pieces of paper and drop them in the box

close the box and force yourself to use 2 full rolls of packing tape to reinforce the box concentrating on the corners

write your name and contact details in sharpie on the box in several places.

DON'T PUT CO2 CARTRIDGES IN THE BOX. They do x ray your box and they will make you open the box and remove them if they spot them.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I spoke to the people at Scuttle, although very helpful, they don't transfer stock between the Jhb and Cpt branches. It would've been ideal.

What this guy said. 

Get a cardboard box from your LBS.

Get your LBS to pack the bike

Get them to leave the top open

stuff some extra bits like bubble wrap and kneepads (if you have them) into the box

write your name and contact details on a few pieces of paper and drop them in the box

close the box and force yourself to use 2 full rolls of packing tape to reinforce the box concentrating on the corners

write your name and contact details in sharpie on the box in several places.

DON'T PUT CO2 CARTRIDGES IN THE BOX. They do x ray your box and they will make you open the box and remove them if they spot them.

I had the same thought, albeit a less elegant solution. Just hope that it's handled properly on the day. Thank you Dave303e and Duane_Bosch, I'll give this route a go!

Thanks for all the replies, I really do appreciate it! :)