Garden route cycling post lockdown

yoppoy81@gmail.com

Hey there,

I'm thinking of cycling along the garden route next week, starting from Knysna to Port elizabeth. With the recent lockdown measures there has been much less traffic in cape town. Any knows if it's the same around those places?

Thanks in advance !

Hey there,

I'm thinking of cycling along the garden route next week, starting from Knysna to Port elizabeth. With the recent lockdown measures there has been much less traffic in cape town. Any knows if it's the same around those places?

Thanks in advance !

PE has got BIG PROBLEMS regarding Covit 19. Apparently according to the news, 70% of the 11000 something cases are in the Eastern Cape, PE mostly.

Is it safe? Mostly. 

But what is meant by safe? Traffic is always going to be an issue. On the N2 traffic is usual highway busy. Trucks and speeding. Personally I would avoid riding that road.

R62 will be less traffic, but that means crossing Prince Alfreds Pass first. In and of itself that is a awesome ride. But the R62 from Avontuur to the N2 near Humansdorp has no shoulder. None whatsoever. Riding there is also risky. 

Farm roads between those two arteries is probably the safest route, but not neccessarily the shortest.

But then as BSG says, PE is vrot with Covid. But then so is the Garden Route. And thanks to this bit of sadness we may well face another lockdown in these areas, if not the entire EC and WC over the December hols.

My wisdom says rather skip this plan for now, and revisit it when it is more prudent to do so. You may not get covid, but getting injured while riding and needing a hospital in these areas is like playing russian roulette using a pistol. Best avoided.

roads are super busy - I drive between the garden route and Cape St Francis often and the traffic volumes are high - small towns are busier than usual. The N2 should be avoided and even the R62 really

So many safer options available

There's already a lot of holiday people here and I will say, I don't think they are that observant. Going for the locals as well.