Garmin Edge 500 computer connection

ChristopherJames

This is a common problem and has to do with the cable and the USB connections. I often have to play around with the connection points till it picks up. It will charge no problem, but not connect. Changing the cable helped for some time.

Are you using the same USB port every time? I have found that sometimes the "plug and play" features in windows does not detect changes when one swaps the ports. Plugging into the port where it worked last time normally sorts the problem. That is if you did manage to get comms before.

Take it to Garmin, they may replace it with a lekker new 520 or something similar.

Meh, no, they will charge you just slightly under retail price and you will be stuck with a device that breaks if you just look at it funny - hold on to that 500 for as long as you can, those little things are bulletproof.

Meh, no, they will charge you just slightly under retail price and you will be stuck with a device that breaks if you just look at it funny - hold on to that 500 for as long as you can, those little things are bulletproof.

My 500 died on me(according to navworld the soft pieces the circuit board sit on to absorb shocks wears out and it knocks against the case), they gave me a 520 for very cheap. This was a few years ago when the trade in deal was still a very good deal though.

My 500 died on me(according to navworld the soft pieces the circuit board sit on to absorb shocks wears out and it knocks against the case), they gave me a 520 for very cheap. This was a few years ago when the trade in deal was still a very good deal though.

Someone I know was recently quoted R5,3K by Garmin for a replacement on his 500.

I'm on my 3rd 520 in 4 years, that said the 3rd one has now lasted for 2 years and is still going strong

They wanted to charge me just under full retail to replace my 800 recently. I declined and picked up a 520 plus for a great deal off the Hub for a quarter of the quote from Garmin

Someone I know was recently quoted R5,3K by Garmin for a replacement on his 500.

I'm on my 3rd 520 in 4 years, that said the 3rd one has now lasted for 2 years and is still going strong

Sjoe that does seem excessive. What were the problems? Touch wood, my 520 is still going strong. For the life of me, I can't remember when I got it.

Funny you should mention this, my Gamin 500 did the same thing recently but was caused by water after riding two days in the rain. However, I bought it many years ago and it has been really great so I just retired it and replaced it with a new Garmin 130, which is actually a great upgrade for me.

As for the 500 it had two rides that I really wanted to download but couldn't. I kept trying and the other day, it decided to connect! I quickly downloaded the ride, said a prayer of thanks, and retired the 500 gracefully :-)

Cheers. 

Yup, I've got the same problem with mine. Not sure if it happened over time (the device itself), the cable or changes to operating system (Windows 7, 10, etc.)

That being said, I've had it for over 10 years (bought it in Feb 2020) and it has served me well. The battery usage has started to suck and I got an Edge 130 Plus on a BF sale, so looking forward to that.

Edited by mikkelz

Sjoe that does seem excessive. What were the problems? Touch wood, my 520 is still going strong. For the life of me, I can't remember when I got it.

First one was just the backlights on screen that failed one month out of warranty(think it could have easily been fixed) , second unit after a few months the battery/charging setup failed - what they didn't tell me is that the replacement units don't come with a new warranty so I had to pay the standard replacement fee. 

Edited by Skubarra