New drivetrain 1x11 / 1x9

Daniel Silva

I will be looking to upgrade my bike drive train to a 1x11 or 1x9 next year and have been looking around and checking prices for an upgrade kit here on Bikehub. I have seen a few of those sunrace cassettes at some very good prices.

What is the quality like and what would you guys recommend?

I will be looking to upgrade my bike drive train to a 1x11 or 1x9 next year and have been looking around and checking prices for an upgrade kit here on Bikehub. I have seen a few of those sunrace cassettes at some very good prices.

What is the quality like and what would you guys recommend?

I’d go for 1x11 purely because it was designed for single chainring systems. One thing to consider is the 11-speed parts you’ll need: derailleur, cassette, chain, shifter and possibly a new crank. You can maybe get away with just a narrow/wide chainring on your current crank. In my experience, Shimano SLX was an excellent upgrade. What groupset do you have on your bike currently?

Sunrace cassettes are good have used a number of them without any issues. On the 1x9 not sure what ratio you are planning but be careful not all derailleurs are compatible with wide range. To play it safe and keep things smooth I would go 1x11. Shimano or sram both work great it's all about personal preference. My 1 bike running XT 11spd with 46t cassette and the other sram xo1 with a 50t cassette both run flawless.

Daniel the 11 speed cassette fits onto the same freehub as the 9 speed.  So this upgrade is very easy, and one of the cheapest options.

You will also need an 11-speed shifter and idealy a long-cage derailure.

BEFORE - 3x9

post-110956-0-81895100-1606935741_thumb.jpg

AFTER - 1x11 

post-110956-0-45394200-1606935795_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

I’d go for 1x11 purely because it was designed for single chainring systems. One thing to consider is the 11-speed parts you’ll need: derailleur, cassette, chain, shifter and possibly a new crank. You can maybe get away with just a narrow/wide chainring on your current crank. In my experience, Shimano SLX was an excellent upgrade. What groupset do you have on your bike currently?

The bike that I will be doing this upgrade on is a momsen al529 r-type and it’s running a 2x10 and the moment, not sure of the exact specs as it is my mates that I am buying this month.

Sunrace cassettes are good have used a number of them without any issues. On the 1x9 not sure what ratio you are planning but be careful not all derailleurs are compatible with wide range. To play it safe and keep things smooth I would go 1x11. Shimano or sram both work great it's all about personal preference. My 1 bike running XT 11spd with 46t cassette and the other sram xo1 with a 50t cassette both run flawless.

I was also going more towards a 1x11 but it all depends on what I find at the best price when the time comes.

This reason I asked this was a saw on one of the forums the other day that someone had said sunrace wasnt the greatest quality so I just wanted to check.

Daniel the 11 speed cassette fits onto the same freehub as the 9 speed. So this upgrade is very easy, and one of the cheapest options.

You will also need an 11-speed shifter and idealy a long-cage derailure.

BEFORE - 3x9

Mongoose revamp-26.jpg

AFTER - 1x11

Mongoose revamp-172.jpg

Yeah so for a lot of these upgrade kits they do come with everything but I wasn’t sure about the quality as I’ve never used anything from sunrace, it’s always been shimano parts for me.

Personal experience with Sunrace will make me drink Jik before installing that garbage on another bike.

Very expensive mistake. Less than 900km and the cassette is junk.

Why not just go 1x10 ...I did with no issues....saves buying new RD and shifter...AND if it's not suitable for you you can just revert back to 2x10...

Edited by Mojoman

Very happy with the Sunrace cassettes we have used. No issues. Same for Shimano.

The two Sram GX systems we owned though .... super fiddly ...

I have 3 bikes with Sunrace cassettes ... 2x12sp 11-50 and 1*11sp 11-50. Done many thousands of kilometers and besides the 11sp starting to get fiddly now that it is pretty worn no problems.

One of the 12sp bikes even has a Sunrace 12sp shifter which I ran with a Shimano 11sp rear derailleur till recently...

Other option is the cheap Shimano HG500 10spd cassette 11-42T. Then you only need a new cassette and chain ring.

Running that setup currently, but have a Sunrace Cassette and Shimano 11spd derailleur and shifter in the cupboard that will go one when this lot dies.

For interest sake, I'm now actually running the 10spd cassette and 10spd shifter with the 11spd derailleur and it works brilliantly. Improved shifting and reduced shift force too.

10 speed is still viable. Many people still run that. But 9 speed is outdated. When I upgraded, I had a Sunrace cassette on. Worked well. Wouldn’t go for the other parts though.

Go 1x11, and sunrace is fine. All you need is a 96bcd chainring 32t or 34t whatever your preference, new cassette, shifter and a long cage derailleur compatible with a wide range cassette. The Shimano SLX M7000 shadow plus derailleur is a good option and can do 11-46.

Quite an easy and affordable upgrade option.