[Event] 2021 Imbuko Big Five MTB Challenge

Gravel Travel Events

Event Name: 2021 Imbuko Big Five MTB Challenge
When: 18 September 2021
Where: Imbuko Wines, Wellington, Western Cape
Category: MTB

The Imbuko Big Five MTB Challenge has moved to 18 September 2021 and will test riders over 75km and 3 000m of climbing. This will be the perfect preparation for the 2021 ABSA Cape Epic, prepping you for most of the Epic-type riding you could expect.

Starting (at 6h30) and finishing at Imbuko Family Vintners outside Wellington, riders will be treated to some amazing mountain biking, and entertainment after the ride.

ONE bunch start at 6h30!

Number and goody bag collection:editor-uploads%2F1606224249150-CUM+New+Logo2.png

Thursday 16 September 2021: Cape Union Mart Shop, Entrance 2, Canal Walk - 13h00 until 19h00;

Friday 17 September 2021: Imbuko Family Wines - 16h00 until 19h00;

Saturday 18 September 2021: Imbuko Family Wines- from 5h30.

Live tracking is available, which you can rent for R100 - this will enable your friends and family to follow your progress on the big day!

Go to Event Page

hubevents-12757-0-36190900-1607005135_thumb.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, there was an error on the Event Page - had to change the end-date manually and did not see this until now. Event date: 20 February 2020!!

ah thanks for clearing that up So still Feb then. I better cut the carbs

good idea ???????? with 3000m elevation you don’t need to be lugging that up & down all day ????

Pity I can't do it! I am not prepping for the Epic. Oh well.

The single track alone is worthwhile, I'll reconsider :clap:

haha thought the same, I'd better drop a couple kgs by then! Gonna be a lot of climbing ????

I maintain, the best one day event I have done......and arguably the toughest as well. The amount of climbing is a lot, but a lot becomes hectic, when you squeeze it in over a relative "short" distance.

The views and single-track make up for all of the suffering uphill though, and you'll have proper arm-pump at the end.  

Great vibe, water points and venue ......makes for a memorable event.

Do you remember the price of an entry last year?

R650.

Cannot wait for this race again. Can't wait to see if i can better my 5:40 time. Hopefully not to hot  :whistling:

Did the race last year 

It was brilliant. The amount of climbing is brutal however the endless single track really makes it rewarding. One of the better 1day race for sure. 

I plan to do it again, I just hope we fortunate enough to have another mild temp day as this ride will be so much harder if temp sees anything over 25deg.

Is this the old Gravel Travel through Wellington, up and over Bainskloof and then that 20km descent back to the start?

Last time I raced that I won the SS division (it was a real thing) and took my whole family away to a private game lodge for a weekend.

It was awesome.

I could be swayed to come back and do that again... on a real bike though

Is this the old Gravel Travel through Wellington, up and over Bainskloof and then that 20km descent back to the start?

Last time I raced that I won the SS division (it was a real thing) and took my whole family away to a private game lodge for a weekend.

It was awesome.

I could be swayed to come back and do that again... on a real bike though

Yeah kind of, this route crosses many of the old Gravel Travel tracks, basically all the old Welvenpas Black, yellow, blue & white single tracks & so much more that have been added in recent times.

Yeah kind of, this route crosses many of the old Gravel Travel tracks, basically all the old Welvenpas Black, yellow, blue & white single tracks & so much more that have been added in recent times.

Oh sick... I loved those trails

I might make a turn here

Oh sick... I loved those trails

I might make a turn here

.....I do not know all the names of the various trails, but there was one unique change in last year's route, which was let's say....."interesting".....

It was a downhill trail, which we did in reverse.....on tired legs nogal.  Eina Eina, continues little switchback-back-breakers !!   Just ads to the whole event and being so so special !!  

Def lining up again next year, unprepared as always !