[Event] 2021 Imbuko Big Five MTB Challenge

Gravel Travel Events

Just a reminder that your Tygerberg MTB Club membership allows you access to the Wild Boar Trails which covers some of this route in case anyone wanted to go get a taster of what is to come during the race.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the trailseeker race is on the same weekend ? :(

did you say trailseeker?Trailseeker? What Trailseeker? 

Thanks for the link. Once again , event conflicts... :(

Edited by DieselnDust

Trailseekers vs Legseekers

Entered...Will be my first attempt at this race...

May be over my head. Lets hope i finish

Edited by YaseenEnos

Trailseekers vs Legseekers

Entered...Will be my first attempt at this race...

May be over my head. Lets hope i finish

My 2 cents from what I've learnt at the marathon races I did last year : pace yourself, stop when you feel like it at the water points to refuel (sweets, water, etc) and think about enjoying yourself more than pushing yourself. It's going to make the ride much more enjoyable and you'll finish in better shape (and probably even faster than if you blew up in the last 20km, having to stop on the side of the trail to eat whatever gels you had in your pockets and push it down halfway with the half a bottle you have left)

The 2 mins you'll lose to refill your bottles, smash some jelly babies/potatoes/whatever is there are going to be worth it later, and you'll probably make them up on the next climb. 

My 2 cents from what I've learnt at the marathon races I did last year : pace yourself, stop when you feel like it at the water points to refuel (sweets, water, etc) and think about enjoying yourself more than pushing yourself. It's going to make the ride much more enjoyable and you'll finish in better shape (and probably even faster than if you blew up in the last 20km, having to stop on the side of the trail to eat whatever gels you had in your pockets and push it down halfway with the half a bottle you have left)

The 2 mins you'll lose to refill your bottles, smash some jelly babies/potatoes/whatever is there are going to be worth it later, and you'll probably make them up on the next climb. 

Fully agree - I have one bottle cage and don't do cambleback or the second bottle cage behind the post....so there is a price to pay at the longer marathon events for trying to look cool......but when the water points are stocked so well as they are at Imbuko, and even have a kind oom braaing boerewors rolls in the last bit, I am more than willing to stop and refuel.

Just one thing, do not listen to that oom with the beer in hand and braai-tongs in other, when he tells you that you are almost done......unless he refers figuratively, cause then he will be accurate yes.  

Edited by The Captain

great advice JBR!

• 1 month later...

Hi All!

With the uncertainty of the Covid regulations, we have decided to move the 2021 Imbuko Big Five MTB Challenge to 18 September 2021.

This is closer to the ABSA Cape Epic, and will present riders with a good training ride, or if you are not riding Epic, a proper bucket list event to tick off!

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Hey Guys,

In case you've missed it then event back on for the 18th September, start training your climb and descending.

keen on this... will start that training thing I guess