[Event] 2021 Imbuko Big Five MTB Challenge

Gravel Travel Events

All I can tell you guys bring your climbing legs, if the ones you bring fail you on the day have a back up plan in the form of being able to push your bike up and downhill. Practice riding & walking tight switchbacks wherever you can, go as far as placing two cones in parking lot at what you think is impossible distance and try squeezing through there. I am not exaggerating. Oh and Dropper post Is a must oh one more whatever gear you riding now go lighter by 2-4 teeth.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya I’m. Looking at the vert on this baby and I reckon il drop down to a 32 jus lt to make sure I have legs left for the last 20km!!

9 hours ago, milky4130 said:

All I can tell you guys bring your climbing legs, if the ones you bring fail you on the day have a back up plan in the form of being able to push your bike up and downhill. Practice riding & walking tight switchbacks wherever you can, go as far as placing two cones in parking lot at what you think is impossible distance and try squeezing through there. I am not exaggerating. Oh and Dropper post Is a must oh one more whatever gear you riding now go lighter by 2-4 teeth.

Any tips for guys ridding farm gates?

1 minute ago, milky4130 said:

Learn to nose wheelie around tight switch backs 😜

Don't bring back Covid memories 😂

On 12/25/2022 at 11:08 AM, milky4130 said:

Thanks, I am planning on dropping to my 36T front ring 😈

Yep, think my 38 is tooo big for that ridge... is it part of the welvanpass ride routes?

Is it open for riding yet, thats what i am really trying to ask here...

4 hours ago, vulgar said:

Yep, think my 38 is tooo big for that ridge... is it part of the welvanpass ride routes?

Is it open for riding yet, thats what i am really trying to ask here...

Strava segment shows 28 riders since November. Not sure what that means lol...

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone actually have a strava file for the route? Cant see anything on the website.

Also what are the 5 climbs? I need to do some analysis before i decide to enter.

On 12/30/2022 at 7:54 AM, Morne Veer said:

....means 28 riders has done a hike with stunning views since November 

So is this a hike a bike? 

Most of the guys on the leaders board are local pros. If they are hike a biking, this is going to be a disaster on race day with a few hundred riders trying to get up there.

On 1/11/2023 at 12:56 PM, Bub Marley said:

Does anyone actually have a strava file for the route? Cant see anything on the website.

Also what are the 5 climbs? I need to do some analysis before i decide to enter.

this is a new route so doubt someone will have a strava file (unless created) of the full route... 

On 1/17/2023 at 11:25 AM, babse said:

So is this a hike a bike? 

Most of the guys on the leaders board are local pros. If they are hike a biking, this is going to be a disaster on race day with a few hundred riders trying to get up there.

No its not a Hike a bike for everyone, but if you get there late, you will be held up in traffic, best it to race until after the descend then you can sit up and recover. I would hate to want to walk down there because someone is walking in front of me.

On 1/11/2023 at 12:56 PM, Bub Marley said:

There new section is technically not open to the public outside of race day, but some people have been rogue riding.

here is the strava file from the 2019 event excluding the new section aka Cliffhanger. it does however have the Big 5 climbs in there. The event should be renamed the Big 6 now. P.S. after you've done Tygerberg's Toughest Climb on repeat this event will be a breeze for you.