Cradle MTB Trail Maintenance

love2fly

Is it just me or is the Cradle MTB trail becoming more and more unpleasant due to encroaching vegetation?

Personally, looking back to day one Ive not seen it this overgrown.....

With the amount of rain we've had it's normal. The same can be seen at Modderfontein, Red Barn etc. 

I'm pretty sure Northern Farms will be the same. 

My issue at the Cradle trail is quite bad erosion. Some of the fast descents are getting super sketchy. 

Yip. Agree with erosion but to me the low hanging cr@p and bamboo are an issue.. Particularly bamboo as I ride wide bars..

I'm not even sure who deals with maintenance on that route. 

Also seeing quite a bit of glass on the tar. 

Maybe we should get a group together and go do some maintenance ourselves. Should take about 3 hours or so one afternoon if about 5 people go out. 

I am definitely keen to help. 

A group of Hubbers did some hedge trimming on the Caves road (last year). It is amazing get how much can be done in a couple of hours if even 5 people pitch in.

I'd be happy to help with a road clean-up.

I'm not even sure who deals with maintenance on that route.

Also seeing quite a bit of glass on the tar.

Maybe we should get a group together and go do some maintenance ourselves. Should take about 3 hours or so one afternoon if about 5 people go out.

I am definitely keen to help.

There is supposed to be a group that cuts vegetation and digs the trail I don't think I've see them since early 2020. It's going to take more than 5 guys and a few hours... I reckon a crew could work there for 2 weeks

I did see a group of workers yesterday (?) sweeping up sand from the cycle lane on Beyers (west side just past Walkhaven). But despite this, people should step up and offer to help upkeep a facility that one uses.

My understanding is that;

MTB trail - there is a maintenance contract with Gauteng Gvt, it was Hero Adventure who had it not sure who has it now

Road - apart from normal road department work it has been by volunteer, at one stage Cycle Lab sponsored a mechanical road sweeper and various other private initiatives

I did see a group of workers yesterday (?) sweeping up sand from the cycle lane on Beyers (west side just past Walkhaven). But despite this, people should step up and offer to help upkeep a facility that one uses.

There are often what seems to be an uncoordinated group of Extended Public Works workers attending to the verge but they do little to the trails...?

My understanding is that;

MTB trail - there is a maintenance contract with Gauteng Gvt, it was Hero Adventure who had it not sure who has it now

Road - apart from normal road department work it has been by volunteer, at one stage Cycle Lab sponsored a mechanical road sweeper and various other private initiatives

Yip, I saw the street sweeper from Cycling SA or one of the organisations a grand total of once!

Some good news. I spoke to the guys that maintain the trail. They had to put out a tender and their guys should be starting tomorrow. Basically 90% focus will be on cutting foliage and they'll address the worst of the washouts...

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Rode the Cradle MTB route yesterday, only jumping onto the tar where the route is closed. There is evidence of foliage maintenance in parts, still more needed. The bridge near R540 and R374 circle (near Neck & Deck) is still closed and the very fun downhill section on the M5 towards Valverde is closed too (probably for very good reasons).

There was one short downhill section near Teak Place which I think should be closed for now (maybe a temporary "slow down" sign will suffice) - but other than that the route is ridable. I managed to ride it on a hardtail, so it's rideable - but rough. Perfect if you are looking for some punishment. I wouldn't suggest it for beginners.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all... So i rode today on my Hardtail... agree mostly with Chatman's previous post.

But it was pleasing to see approximately 10 workers out on the trails today... about 5 of them cutting foliage and about 5 working on the downhill trails going towards Toadbury Hall.

So coming right slowly but surely.

Although its still not a smooth pleasure to ride.. its a little less 'gnar' than my last trip which was in January  :eek:  So yes, a good workout, dont expect to smash your PB's from last year winter, and watch out for the erosion ruts/dongas. I wouldnt ride it currently in low vis conditions.

Hi all. I've been chatting to Hein Pienaar the guy who managed the trail. They've been battling weather and fast growing foliage but hopefully they will start to turn the corner soon.

Edited by love2fly

Hi all

Rode the Cradle MTB route yesterday, only jumping onto the tar where the route is closed. There is evidence of foliage maintenance in parts, still more needed. The bridge near R540 and R374 circle (near Neck & Deck) is still closed and the very fun downhill section on the M5 towards Valverde is closed too (probably for very good reasons).

There was one short downhill section near Teak Place which I think should be closed for now (maybe a temporary "slow down" sign will suffice) - but other than that the route is ridable. I managed to ride it on a hardtail, so it's rideable - but rough. Perfect if you are looking for some punishment. I wouldn't suggest it for beginners.

Neither would I  :eek:

Hi All ,

Most of the venues in and around the cradle are over populated with riders, bikes and cars getting stolen. I started my Park & Ride in Lanseria in Dec 20, we are gaining momentum, we off the beaten track, located on the edge of Fourways & Lanseria. We offer secure & safe parking. Please pass the word around to fellow riders. Please check the link below. Have a happy day.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/188323-park-ride-lanseria-r20-per-person-open-from-6am/

Cheers.