Titan or Silverback or Specialized

Ultrarunner ZA

Hi everyone,

I am quite unsure about my next purchase as I mainly participate in Triathlon. Recently I have been doing more MTB and am also looking at taking part in some longer races 50-160km.

My budget is not big and I have been scouring the buy&sell area for the last few months. Seems like great deals if you are Medium or Large size but I am XL.

I have narrowed it down to potentially 3 bikes I can afford.

TITAN Cypher Expert Alloy (2020) – Bike Addict (bike-addict.co.za)

2020 Silverback Stratos AL3 Dual Suspension Aluminium Moutain Bike | Mountain Bikes | Product | Cycle Lab

or the Specialized StumpJumper @ 40k.

I need some advice - I like the titan but not sure of the bran as I currently own Specialized bikes and my Hardtail is an Crave Comp which is fine for my local trails at hobby park.

Tnx

Edited by Ultrarunner ZA

Titan has grown into a big brand in the last couple of years and their reputation is growing from strength to strength.

So a search on Bikehub and see just how many positive comments there are.

I have the Titan cypher Comp Alloy (120mm). I love the way it rides. It just feels really planted, pedals well and amazing value for the spec. I will change the fork out to something a bit beefier at some stage, but that's about it. Check out this review https://bikenetwork.co.za/review-titan-racing-cypher-rs-elite-cypher-comp/

Hi everyone,

I am quite unsure about my next purchase as I mainly participate in Triathlon. Recently I have been doing more MTB and am also looking at taking part in some longer races 50-160km.

My budget is not big and I have been scouring the buy&sell area for the last few months. Seems like great deals if you are Medium or Large size but I am XL.

I have narrowed it down to potentially 3 bikes I can afford.

TITAN Cypher Expert Alloy (2020) – Bike Addict (bike-addict.co.za)

2020 Silverback Stratos AL3 Dual Suspension Aluminium Moutain Bike | Mountain Bikes | Product | Cycle Lab

or the Specialized StumpJumper @ 40k.

I need some advice - I like the titan but not sure of the bran as I currently own Specialized bikes and my Hardtail is an Crave Comp which is fine for my local trails at hobby park.

Tnx

The Titan and Silverback you quoted are considerably cheaper than the Spez. Id your budget is R40k, then you can get a Titan RS Cypher Elite or a Silverback Stratos AL1. If you would prefer to stay under R30k then both the Titan and Silverback are good bikes. I recently purchased the Silverback Stratos AL1 and I am very happy. It is extremely well spec'd and feels great on any trail. Also has a beefy 34mm stanchion fork which feels rock solid and buttery smooth (if that makes any sense.... Sounds contradicting). However, it isn't and doesn't feel like an XC bike. You sit much more upright and I swopped to a 60mm stem, and still feel quite upright. It is also not the lightest bike. The Titan will probably be the lightest out of them all.

The Silverback comes with a dropper which can be nice depending on your riding style. I make use of mine on each ride. I don't think the 2021 models are going to come with a dropper. Saw a Stratos AL at a LBS this past weekend and the guy mentioned it is the new model. Just called Stratos AL and it was the XT version. Down spec'd from 2020 models. Had a recon 32mm fork, X Fusion shock, XT derailleur with SX crank, 11 spd 9-46 with Stan's rims, no dropper post and looked like Shimano MT200 brakes. Can't compare that to the 2020 AL 1 at the same price point...

Go jump on them at a LBS and get a feel for it, then make a decision.

Thank you for all the advice. After looking at all three options in the stores I stuck to what I know and recommendations.

So today I brought home this baby.

I must say specialized is just a different bike - nothing against the Silverback or Titan.

post-154342-0-98977600-1607435424_thumb.png

Edited by Ultrarunner ZA

Thank you for all the advice. After looking at all three options in the stores I stuck to what I know and recommendations.

I must say specialized is just a different bike - nothing against the Silverback or Titan.

I would have gone with the Silverback or Titan, probably the Titan.

Enjoy your new bike!