36One MTB Challenge 2021

fanievb

The 2020 event just finished, and by the looks of things okes hard a difficult day.

This will be my third attempt (bailed on the first, finished the second in 23 hours)

22 Weeks to go.

Not sure when training will start, coach will decide that

will be a lot cooler in May 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be there for number 4. Have not been able to crack the 24 hours as yet(which will be like my gold medal).

Yes, this year was tough. The first 6 hours of heat and wind almost broke me. Never really recovered from that and took all of 27 hours to get over the line.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Also my first, was entered for last year but Covid.

Training going well so far, have a plan, mostly sticking to it. Long Saturday rides are hurting, with the recent weather I did a 5 hour Zwift ride on Saturday, eina.

so how's the training going?

Not good. Got COVID at the end of December and although a-symptomatic took time off from any exercise for two weeks and very slow for the two weeks after that. Only started with 4 hour rides last weekend and will build going forward. Must say that the motivation is lacking a bit...

En jy Fanie?

For those that may want to spend some time & distance on Zwift, there is the virtual 315km ride coming up on 6 March - look under Events.

Done in support of a worthwhile charity and you will have "virtual" company.

Good luck with the training...

Not good. Got COVID at the end of December and although a-symptomatic took time off from any exercise for two weeks and very slow for the two weeks after that. Only started with 4 hour rides last weekend and will build going forward. Must say that the motivation is lacking a bit...

En jy Fanie?

take it easy, I had 'rona in late September and hr only got better around Christmas.

training going well, lots of intervals and shorter rides (4h max) at the moment.

will probably start ramping up in the next week or so. my coach only loads my workouts a week at a time so I don't really know what's coming

take it easy, I had 'rona in late September and hr only got better around Christmas.

training going well, lots of intervals and shorter rides (4h max) at the moment.

will probably start ramping up in the next week or so. my coach only loads my workouts a week at a time so I don't really know what's coming

Will do thanks. Monitoring HR constantly and doc also insisted I come in for lung capacity test etc before I started again which was all good.

My interval sessions are taking a back seat to work at the moment but will get to it. Another 4 hour planned for this weekend and will also probably ramp up from next week....slowly.

Lekker oefen!

Jaaaaa.... there's a lot of training (quite a bit on Zwift doing intervals) and a lot of it being done on tired legs, so I'm hoping that will help a bit.

Mine was interrupted with cruciate ligament damage after a very small fall in Nov. - falling myself out of UTCT. Only getting properly back to running now... at least been cycling most of the way, but for a couple of weeks' break.

Planning a long one again next weekend. This weekend a shorter but more elevation ride. 

I've entered for my first full 36ONE. Did the relay with Thinus Redelinghuys in 2014, so really looking forward to doing the full loop.

Training has been going well - starting to ramp up the hours and interval intensity.

• 3 weeks later...

So wondering what everyone's cockpit setup is for the race?

I have a small conundrum. I run the Farr aero extensions because i like the extra hand positions. Would like to mount both my Garmin and light on the end of the aero bar, but finding the correct mount is not easy.  

I cant run my Garmin 520 on my stem because it's battery wont last the race and the charge port is not accessible when running it on my stem.  

I have a small conundrum. I run the Farr aero extensions because i like the extra hand positions. Would like to mount both my Garmin and light on the end of the aero bar, but finding the correct mount is not easy.  

I cant run my Garmin 520 on my stem because it's battery wont last the race and the charge port is not accessible when running it on my stem.  

I run this. Extreme light modified with a gopro bracket/adaptor

https://www.giantdurbanville.co.za/za/giant-computer---gopro-combo-mount-for-round-bars 

edit: pic added

post-38473-0-70214600-1615369163_thumb.jpg

Edited by fanievb

Are aero extensions allowed? Just asking because I looked at the rules and they mention the below in the rules:

No dropped handle bars or aero bars will be allowed. This rule will be strictly enforced and riders who fail to comply will lead to disqualification.

I don't want to rock up at the race only to be told that you can't have those on your bike. 

Are aero extensions allowed? Just asking because I looked at the rules and they mention the below in the rules:

No dropped handle bars or aero bars will be allowed. This rule will be strictly enforced and riders who fail to comply will lead to disqualification.

I don't want to rock up at the race only to be told that you can't have those on your bike. 

I think the restriction only applies to full aero bars (think triathlon style)

I know Ramses rode with a set in 2019