36One MTB Challenge 2021

fanievb

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are aero extensions allowed? Just asking because I looked at the rules and they mention the below in the rules:

No dropped handle bars or aero bars will be allowed. This rule will be strictly enforced and riders who fail to comply will lead to disqualification.

I don't want to rock up at the race only to be told that you can't have those on your bike. 

What a silly rule.

To an extent I understand that full tri-style aero bars aren't allowed - in my mind for safety reasons when it comes to riding on gravel???

But why exclude gravel bikes (on the full 360k it's not allowed, while it is on the half?!?!?!?) and curly bars on what is quintessentially a gravel bike race / route?

All told, on the type of surface and route that the 36ONE is held on, a gravel bike without any form of suspension is not that likely to be much faster than a MTB, specifically not on washboard and rough sections. Curly bars on an MTB would be a win for the variety of hand positions is offers - during the Sedgefield300 over the weekend I had enough time to do an assessment of hand positions - 7 in total on the curly bars. I spent 15.5hours with my hands on the bars and didn't have any discomfort, whereas I often get discomfort on my MTB after about 4 hours with its limited hand positions.

Coming back to my comment re the gravel bikes not being allowed - we're probably starting to see a shift from XCM single and stage races to more open road and gravel bike races in SA. Not embracing that will hurt ogranisers in due time.

this pic is from 2020 finish line, note the extension

125982978_2339647422845857_8044581545137

While I'm not sure what the rules were last year, I see no reason why this doesn't fall under the aero bar category. It's just as narrow, which is my assumption why aero bars aren't allowed.

FWIW, I'm all for what you've got on there and can't think why restrictions are in place on handlebars.

Well I am arriving with my skelm bars (Farr aero extensions) installed. Will check it with the organisers before hand, won’t be the end of the world if they don’t allow them.

In more exciting news, gonna be very dark during the race. New moon is on 11 May, so we will only have a sliver. Moon sets at 19:30 on the 14th, so late at night it is gonna be very dark. Gonna be lekker for stars, hope it isn’t cloudy.

Edited by Knersboy

To the experienced guys, what is the best tactic regarding a spare light?

I plan to keep a spare battery in box 2 just in case. Other than that am thinking of the headlamp as back-up and for lighting off the bike. Thoughts on this strategy?

My main light is the ubiquitous Extreme Light Endurance light, and I have a 6800 mAh and 5000 mAh batteries.

Edited by Knersboy

To the experienced guys, what is the best tactic regarding a spare light?

I plan to keep a spare battery in box 2 just in case. Other than that am thinking of the headlamp as back-up and for lighting off the bike. Thoughts on this strategy?

My main light is the ubiquitous Extreme Light Endurance light, and I have a 6800 mAh and 5000 mAh batteries.

A head lamp as spare should suffice - any of the strong Led Lensers would do. Some spare batteries in this case would be beneficial too. 

What is the run time for the EL on its low setting on the 6800mAh battery?

I normally have a headlamp as well - sometimes need light in a different direction or place than where the bike light is showing.  Do have some spare batteries in camelback.

On bike I have the Extreme Endurance Light which I mostly run on low, except on some of the faster descents.   In 4 previous attempts this has lasted well into Saturday night, so there was never a need for spare.  I think on low it lasts up to 40 hours.

You can also ride on low if there are other riders around.

Obviously depends on what light you are going to use.

Less than a month to go...

I normally have a headlamp as well - sometimes need light in a different direction or place than where the bike light is showing. Do have some spare batteries in camelback.

On bike I have the Extreme Endurance Light which I mostly run on low, except on some of the faster descents. In 4 previous attempts this has lasted well into Saturday night, so there was never a need for spare. I think on low it lasts up to 40 hours.

You can also ride on low if there are other riders around.

Obviously depends on what light you are going to use.

Less than a month to go...

Hopefully this time next month I won’t still be riding, but who knows.

Yeah I am not too worried about the battery life, I also found I rode mostly in low and they last for ages, just gonna have a spare in case. Mostly worried about light failure. I think I will keep a spare light I have in box 2 just in case. Headlamp should get me there.

Sheesh this thread is maar quiet, previous years there was much more anticipation/excitement.

This is my first (after last years cancellation) so i am dik excited. My wife is so tired about hearing about 36One......

seeing this thread pop up makes me depressed.

I broke my ankle 3 weeks ago and had to withdraw  :( 

It's going to be my first crack at the solo half (180km's) and also probably the first time I've gone over 120km's since I rode the DC about 15 yrs ago :wacko:  I'm expecting a lot of pain and suffering but weirdly looking forward to a new challenge :thumbup:

Sheesh this thread is maar quiet, previous years there was much more anticipation/excitement.

This is my first (after last years cancellation) so i am dik excited. My wife is so tired about hearing about 36One......

They are all out training... :D  :D

For me, with Covid hanging like a dark cloud over us and even a possible 3rd wave, it dampens the excitement a bit. 

Hopefully see you on the roads soon.

They are all out training... :D  :D

For me, with Covid hanging like a dark cloud over us and even a possible 3rd wave, it dampens the excitement a bit. 

Hopefully see you on the roads soon.

I am so friggin uber paranoid about getting sick at the moment, whether it be covid, flu or a cold. All the hard work is basically done now (twice, having trained for last years cancelled event). Just being on the start line will be a victory for me.

seeing this thread pop up makes me depressed.

I broke my ankle 3 weeks ago and had to withdraw  :( 

eish sorry man

Flying to George Thursday afternoon with bike in a box. Anybody with recent experience with Kulula and a bike. Website indicate no limitation on dimension and no extra cost as long as it is below 20kg