36One MTB Challenge 2021

fanievb

So guys and girls, all trained up? Not much we can do now, let’s hope the legs and mind have it in them.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post-64484-0-85858100-1619769127_thumb.jpg

Just entered the Full Challenge again, need some time out from normal day to day life. Enjoy riding in the Karoo.

Semantics, in truth, one route is long and the other one is f&%*ing long :wacko: ^_^

I look forward to your report - I keep saying I’m going to do it but so far all talk

I 'upgraded' my half GG entry to the proper one.

It's my third 36one,  going to find it interesting on the GG.

I see they're allowing gravel bikes on the longer route this year as well, that should be interesting.

I 'upgraded' my half GG entry to the proper one.

It's my third 36one,  going to find it interesting on the GG.

Well done... I'm considering downgrading mine to the relay ^_^  Got sick last weekend and have only been on the bike once in 10 days and still not feeling much better. It's going to be a long day :cursing:

Edited by BuffsVintageBikes

So I know we are still some way out, but the weather forecast looks good for now

Tik Tok Tik Tok....

What are riders doing with regard to boxes? (Especially those who will ride 20+ hours) .

I cannot seem to make my mind up - November was warm and did not use them, so maybe just some extra layers for that hour before and after sunrise, and drop all excess at CP3? (+some treats :D).

For the new guys, remember to "wiggle" your hands, fingers and toes regularly to avoid carpal, etc.

Tik Tok Tik Tok....

What are riders doing with regard to boxes? (Especially those who will ride 20+ hours) .

I cannot seem to make my mind up - November was warm and did not use them, so maybe just some extra layers for that hour before and after sunrise, and drop all excess at CP3? (+some treats :D).

For the new guys, remember to "wiggle" your hands, fingers and toes regularly to avoid carpal, etc.

I don’t like the cold and I get cold easily, I am planning on putting full Spider-Man outfit in the first box. Jacket, gloves, long base layer, leg warmers, buff, winter socks. Then short sleeve stuff in final box.

Tik Tok Tik Tok....

The strategy is entirely dependent on planned ave. speed... But, I am with you on the extra layers for the crispy mornings. Weather forecast looks good, but 9-11 min (depending on source) is quite chilly for me on the bike. Planning on having a box of warm goodies (beanie, knee warmers, wind tight gloves, etc.) at CP3. Will carry arm warmers from the start and put those on when need be.

I notice new moon is on the 11th, so we'll have a brilliantly beautiful milky way to etch out the Swartberg mountain range during the night.

Really looking forward to riding in the little karoo at night again!

Okay so only 5 more sleeps and the weather forecast is looking awesome. Clear and little wind. Gonna be starry af.