36One MTB Challenge 2021

fanievb

Make sure you finish early, the forecast on YR for Sat afternoon doesn't look very good at this stage :wacko:

...looks like the wind will become an issue on Saturday...how would WNW affect us?  

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you finish early, the forecast on YR for Sat afternoon doesn't look very good at this stage :wacko:

Will most likely change a couple of times before the weekend...

Would prefer not to get wet but that wind should assist us going back as Dogs said.

Aiming for a 24 hour finish but could easily end up on 26+ with the lack of training the last month.

Aiming for a 24 hour finish but could easily end up on 26+ with the lack of training the last month.

With times like that, thou shall see me on the road...smile and wave as you come by :D

I consider just being at the start line a win.

With all the uncertainty and just extra stuff that could go wrong this year, and with last years disappointment still fresh in my mind, I will be celebrating at the start line if I get there.

My biggest worry now is getting ill before Friday, dik paranoid.

Is it necessary to load a gpx file when doing the 36one? Or is the route marked pretty well?

First time doing it and I know my Garmin Edge 800 is useless with battery life so wont be having maps that long...

Is it necessary to load a gpx file when doing the 36one? Or is the route marked pretty well?

First time doing it and I know my Garmin Edge 800 is useless with battery life so wont be having maps that long...

Nope, there are "marshals" at most turns, etc

Mostly there is only the one route and in general you see other riders around..

I use Garmin to record and charge it on the go with powerbank.

Good luck.

Are e-Bikes allowed in this race/ride? I'm sure I saw the regs say no but know of at least one e-bike in the 180 field....?

That was hard. Conditions were good, no excuses. It was just bloody hard. 

Why does everyone go on about rooiberg and totally ignore the first 40km after Calitzdorp (last stage), that was super sucky.

Stoked I have done it, never ever again.

I rode from cradock to willowmore on the freedom trail just before the race and had a bad crash when my crank broke off my bike. Hurt my knee and battled with it daily. Just before 360one we were able to rest for two days. So going into the race I felt pretty rough. The race was hard and my freind and I stuck together. The night was long and those last few hills horrible. I got caught in the rain in the last hour. My knee at this stage was unbearable but we pushed through. I'm so glad I did not give up but there were times when my mind went walkabout to dark places. The cheerful folks at the watertables and the medics we joked with at the feed stations were great. 

1 hour ago, blondeonabike said:

I rode from cradock to willowmore on the freedom trail just before the race and had a bad crash when my crank broke off my bike. Hurt my knee and battled with it daily. Just before 360one we were able to rest for two days. So going into the race I felt pretty rough. The race was hard and my freind and I stuck together. The night was long and those last few hills horrible. I got caught in the rain in the last hour. My knee at this stage was unbearable but we pushed through. I'm so glad I did not give up but there were times when my mind went walkabout to dark places. The cheerful folks at the watertables and the medics we joked with at the feed stations were great. 

Hectic respect Blondie.

Great ride

On 5/10/2021 at 12:13 PM, hboli4 said:

Will most likely change a couple of times before the weekend...

Would prefer not to get wet but that wind should assist us going back as Dogs said.

You had a great ride Pal.

Much respect

13 hours ago, Vetseun said:

You had a great ride Pal.

Much respect

Thanks Vettes, it was a hard ride. The wind assisted in some sections and we battled against it on others. Temps wise it was actually pleasant and did not get too hot or cold.

Knees started to take serious strain from about 220km in and last 10km was torture - struggled to just turn the peddles.

Huge respect to the riders who got caught in the rain the last couple of hours - must have been really miserable.

Damn, forgot how tough some sections are...at least I got the t-shirt????

Had a long (lovely) day on the bike and got caught in the rain just after last WP, just added to the experience of making it a memorable ride.

At least the wind was kinder than last year, the tailwind on the uphill's helped.

This remains an awesome event.

Shout out to everyone that finished - the top finishers, much respect going at that pace for the entire race.

Until next year????

On 5/15/2021 at 11:15 AM, love2fly said:

Are e-Bikes allowed in this race/ride? I'm sure I saw the regs say no but know of at least one e-bike in the 180 field....?

I saw 2, the one cruised past us on Rooiberg....

Didn't consider it too much of an issue as they were in latter part of field.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, Knersboy said:

That was hard. Conditions were good, no excuses. It was just bloody hard. 

Why does everyone go on about rooiberg and totally ignore the first 40km after Calitzdorp (last stage), that was super sucky.

Stoked I have done it, never ever again.

No, you now know what to expect, next year you go back to improve on this years time????

Getting to Rooiberg is quite a challenge on it's own.