Need some guidance (severe upper leg cramps)

Hi all I know the topic of cramps is never ending but please can someone maybe point me in the right direction

I've been cycling for 3 years now and on weekends we normally do 80km rides and in the week I do one or two 30km rides when possible

Last week Wednesday at work I felt my left leg giving some pain even walking up a flight of stairs at work but I never paid much attention. Then on Saturday past the wife and myself decided to cycle but 5kms in my left leg started cramping up and at 7km it started to affect my right leg. Canceled the ride and just about made it back to where we parked the car

I've been resting since Saturday and decided now to try cycle again and again 5kms in it just got too painful to continue

Any advice for me ?

I've been taking slow mag since Saturday afternoon in the hopes that it would help

At which point would you suggest I seek medical advice

Thanks

I'm battling with cramps for a very long time.  Used to run marathons and ultras and the only way I could "postpone" the point where the cramps start is more endurance training.  I need to add, I sweat a lot more than the norm, and that's probably why at a certain point there is simply not enough electrolytes left in my body, hence cramp.

Supplements like Mg, Ca, K, Na does help, but for me it was never a guarantee not to get cramps.

Your situation sound different/weird compared to mine, cramping after only 5-7km riding!

I suggest keep making some more expensive pee (by popping the vitamins) and go and try again in a few days.  If the same thing happen again, off to the Dr you go ... :)

All I can say is sterkte, despite a lot of different advice I was never able to permanently solve the cramping problem.

Edited by Theog

Proper bike fit would be a good start.

I had one done 3 months ago and since then I've had no issues until last week

This is why I'm baffled perhaps I need to ask this guy to do another check

Got a new bike 3 months ago and done the fit. We cycle every weekend since then so not sure why I'm having issues now

I had one done 3 months ago and since then I've had no issues until last week

This is why I'm baffled perhaps I need to ask this guy to do another check

Got a new bike 3 months ago and done the fit. We cycle every weekend since then so not sure why I'm having issues now

Bike fit might make a difference but cramping after such a short distance, something else must be wrong or at very least contributing.

5kms... theres something wrong other than potentially a bike fit. Thats very quick. I'd get to a doc and get some blood taken or I don't know what other kind of screening tests there are, it sounds like something is def missing.

Edit: Are you sure its cramping and not a 'dead leg'? maybe you have a very unfortunately placed nerve for a cycling setup (apologies for condescending sounding question)

Edited by Chris_

Maybe your fitment is right and you were wrong the rest of the time you spent on the bike. It will take time to get use to the new fit. Maybe your fit could wrong too. Also, sleep is extremely important as cramping can be cause by muscle fatigue. If that is in order, start looking at supplements. What exactly is cramping? Keep in mind, dehydration is very important, by the time you thirsty, it’s too late.

When I was riding dirt bikes I would get severe cramps after riding, not much helped for them, then I read a thing about pickle juice and how that helps with cramping, long story short, it worked for me, eat a pickle and take a swig of pickle juice before and after and I never had cramps like that again, haven't needed to do it with the cycling though

I solved my post race cramping by taking electrolytes (Rehidrate) immediately afterwards and I found that on really long rides I can almost eliminate cramps by taking it after 3 hours and then every 2 hours after that. I have a bottle in the cage with only the powder and I mix it at the water point and I carry some sachets for the rest of the way.

I also have a back problem for which I use a muscle relaxant to sort out back spasms, I use Besemax (Besenol) which is not severe on the kidneys which also removes the cramps. Personally I prefer the electrolyte option for cramps.

Thanks everyone for the responses appreciate it

My upper muscles above the knee are stiff its even painful to bring my knee to my chest

As mentioned we ride every weekend min 60kms so 5kms in really worries me

When we do 80kms I use biogen electrolytes during a cycle

My midweek cycles I just use plain water as thats under 30kms

Maybe its best I see a doctor

I'm sure its a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Maybe your recovery food and plans are the culprit. 

Cramps depending on which science you read can come from either dehydration and therefore low sodium, mag etc levels, or, from good old fatigue and the muscles just freaking out because they can't function correctly under the continued load. Either of these can happen in your longer rides, but again I think there is something odd going on when you cramp so early on while 'fresh'. So maybe you're starting on a bad playing field and recovery from your prior ride is something to look at. 

Dunno man, trial and error usually sorts these things out. But maybe worth while grabbing a test when you're next near your doc.

yeah see a doc.

could be a build up of training vs lack of stretching and massaging. Could be that there is a tear somewhere and it has not had proper rest to heal and every time you keep re-injuring when going riding. this could be both legs and the continuous regime has not given enough recovery.

By doc I don't necessarily mean a GP - might need bio or physio help that knows sports injuries.

Edited by s14phoenix