Found iPhone

TheAntoine1

I forgot my iPhone at the top of Chappies on this past Sunday morning (6 Dec) . I left it on the small rock retaining wall and cycled off down into Noordhoek, thru to Simonstwn and then back to my house in St.James. Only then did I realise it was still at the top of Chappies!

As a long shot, after phoning my phone and getting the answering service, I rode my scooter up to the top and to my massive surprise someone had obviously spotted my phone and had the fantastic vision to half hide it but it the same area. Thanks to whoever that person is and its greatly appreciated - if you are out there and read this message me give me a shout - I owe you one!!

There are still good petiole out there 

That's clever how did they go about hiding it but still in a manner that you would be able to find it?

If you are an honest person wouldn't it be better to just take the phone home with you and then the owner can phone it when they realise it's lost?

That's clever how did they go about hiding it but still in a manner that you would be able to find it?

If you are an honest person wouldn't it be better to just take the phone home with you and then the owner can phone it when they realise it's lost?

That’s actually what I did once when I picked up a phone at Mont Marie once. My thinking was that I would keep the battery charged and the person will phone. Once the battery dies it would be very difficult to find the owner. The owner phoned before I got back home and was very glad to get her phone back.

That’s actually what I did once when I picked up a phone at Mont Marie once. My thinking was that I would keep the battery charged and the person will phone. Once the battery dies it would be very difficult to find the owner. The owner phoned before I got back home and was very glad to get her phone back.

Good point about the battery dying and the consequences, leaving the phone there opens it to thieves who won't think twice about stealing it

My best lost and found experience happened about 15 years ago in a shopping mall in Budapest. We were living there at the time and I managed to leave my leather jacket on a bench in the mall. When I returned, it was gone. In one of the pockets was my passport with my 2yr Hungarian visa and 2 yr Schengen visa. I was screwed and probably would have had to return SA as a result. I felt sick to my stomach.

Although I had no expectation of it being found I thought I would try the information desk (hardly anyone spoke English). Lo and behold someone handed my jacket in to a security guard and I got it back. While one could argue that that would never happen in SA, my Hungarian friends assured me that that was the same in Hungary and my experience was as close to winning the lottery as one could get.

I still get the chills thinking about the consequences if I lost my passport. I was a contractor at the time and probably would have lost my job if I had to return to SA for a couple of weeks/months.

The things us saffas are grateful for. Glad you got it back. :)

I've been on the receiving end of amazing kindness the last few weeks and I saw this post and I could not resist adding this .. back in October my friend was on a roadtrip with her boyfriend. At a Lydenberg stop she left her wallet behind in the ladies. It was turned in to a security guard who then tracked her down, phoned her and turned out lived in Joburg and was able to meet her and return it. Everything intact. 

• 1 month later...

Wow!

Wow indeed.  Sounds like a story from Japan or the like.  Glad there are still some good people out there.

Many years back I forgot my moon bag with passport, air tickets, cash etc etc on a domestic plane in the US.

Only realized it hours later.  Luckily my hotel in Chicago was not far from the SA consulate, got an emergency passport in half a day.

The idea was to get my boarding pass re-issued for the flight back home, when I got to the gate to board, they handed me my moon bag with everything still in tact, I couldn't believe my eyes.

It was obviously found on the plane by probably the airline personnel, they checked my itinerary and left it for me to be found when boarding my next flight.

Miracles still happen .. :D

Edited by TheoG