Santam/CBR Bike inspection

Zatek

For those that have used CBR before. Did you only send the damaged parts like wheels and frames to be inspected? I know several people that only sent wheels or frame to be inspected.

I must for a second time send my bike for inspection not just frame and wheels after hitting a pothole. That now includes tires and bend skewers. Wonder if I should send the inner tubes as well...

Apparently CBR only does a low level inspection and if you question it, then only then do they a full inspection.

Wonder if they need the saddle and saddlebag as well?

Wonder how many cyclist is riding around risking their lives on damaged parts.

Edited by Zatek

Were you referred to CBR by Santam.?

CBR appears to have become the assessor for a number of insurance companies.

Up until 2 years ago my LBS was allowed to assess and provide an initial damage report which would be confirmed if necessary.

The idea of insurance repairing damage has surfaced on other threads previously with vastly differing opinions ....

As for having to send in your complete bike, be glad they haven't requested to see your entire fleet.

Edited by Thomo

Insurance is Santam and their service provider is CBR. Waiting a month for this to be sorted out.

In last year when I was insured with MiWay at the time, I too was requested to submit complete bike for inspection with CBR.

Same scenario like you, hit pothole and came down leker hard...I was convinced that only the wheels where damaged and persisted in wanting to box and courier wheels up from CPT for their inspectionn. To no avail, I had to package the entire bike (frame, fork, wheels, groupo etc.)

Pretty annoyed that MiWay had no local assessors in Cape Town to deal with the matter.

On CBR report, they identified a few hairline cracks on certain areas of frame...If I recall correctly, it was rear stay.

Claim was settled in full within +/-1 month.

Trust your claim will be settled to your liking. Client is always right  :clap:

To no avail, I had to package the entire bike (frame, fork, wheels, groupo etc.)

Pretty annoyed that MiWay had no local assessors in Cape Town to deal with the matter.

I was actually thinking of CBR Durbanville ... I would not have been impressed with having to send to Jhb.

That said, I guess you do what you have to ... :(

In last year when I was insured with MiWay at the time, I too was requested to submit complete bike for inspection with CBR.

Same scenario like you, hit pothole and came down leker hard...I was convinced that only the wheels where damaged and persisted in wanting to box and courier wheels up from CPT for their inspectionn. To no avail, I had to package the entire bike (frame, fork, wheels, groupo etc.)

On CBR report, they identified a few hairline cracks on certain areas of frame...If I recall correctly, it was rear stay.

Trust your claim will be settled to your liking. Client is always right :clap:

Luckily I was able to keep it upright. Just don't understand why they need the complete bike.

Just don't understand why they need the complete bike.

Some insurance requests had me scratching my head too ...

Luckily I was able to keep it upright. Just don't understand why they need the complete bike.

Wish I knew and maybe there was a reasonable explanation at the time as to why the need of complete but I just wanted the claim handled quickly as possibly. 

Insurance is Santam and their service provider is CBR. Waiting a month for this to be sorted out.

CBR has done really good work for me on a number of occasions, and they have identified parts that cannot be repaired and advised me of such when appropriate. So I think their work is good and safe. They are obviously a lot cheaper than replacing a bike and so IMHO this is a good initiative from the insurers (cheaper claims mean that premiums are lower, even though the policyholder may see this as a missed opportunity for a new bike).

As the insurer it makes sense both from a claims management and a safety point of view that they inspect the whole bike. They then have some assurance that your fixed bike will be safe to ride or face negligence claims on their part (e.g. they have checked fork, handlebars, stem, seatpost, etc. rather than just patched your frame).

In the various crashes I have experience of (either mine or riding buddies) it is not uncommon to find cracks on the handlebar or around the crown race that cause bigger issues over time.

Trust your claim will be settled to your liking. Client is always right :clap:

Heck you had to strip your bike, wrap up all the parts and ship it to the assessor?

That's a lot of work, never heard of that needing to be done, kind of explains why insurers typically use an lbs to avoid needing shipping. Did they reimburse your packaging and shipping costs?