Cycle Tour 364 Route - Ride the Cape Peninsula

mecheng89

Good morning Hubbers!

Heading down to CPT over the festive season, holding all thumbs and toes that provincial government won't impose silly lockdowns.

Has anyone done this route before? Looks pretty epic, think I want to give it a try after I stumbled across some Dane posted a video on his YT channel. 

https://ridewithgps.com/ambassador_routes/1529-cycle-tour-364-route-ride-the-cape-penin 

This route, and various iterations thereof gets done probably hundreds of times a week down these parts. One thing to keep in mind though, the area beyond Simonstown and Kommejie / Ocean View is lately become a bike jack hotspot. But you will be happy to find that you will be in the company of literally hundreds of fellow cyclists also pedalling around the peninsula routes over December (if we manage to avoid lockdown level Christmas Cancelled).

Exactly as Robbie said. That route includes some of the most beautiful roads and towns in the country; there's a reason that the Argus follows a very similar path. It's very popular with cyclists which will likely ease some security concerns too. And on that note, I believe that our perception of crime and "hotspots" has a lot more to do with the fact that we are now informed about a single bike jacking incident on 3 different social media platforms and 5 separate WhatsApp groups, while 10 years ago we wouldn't have ever heard about it. There have been some incidents around Ocean view and there's no doubt that (due to covid) there are a few more desperate people out there at the moment, but I'd ride that route without a second's thought.