Rockbros photochromic glasses

Daniel Silva

I do not agree that Oakley is better quality. They are not bad, but the plastic, rubber and polycarb is nothing special. (Of the big brand shades, I liked Rudy Project the most)

My preferred brand now is 30South eyeware. I think these will be my next buy:

https://www.30southeyewear.com/shop?store-page=VELOS-RX-SHIFT-Transition-lens-p268617311

I also prefer Rudy Project.

For climbing and water sports I like Julbo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a pair of Rockbro's from AliExpress for R250 including shipping and use them for early morning rides. They are still good wind protection at that time of day regardless of the UV story. The okes in SA aelling them are really taking you for a ride at "R1799" down to "R799" lol.

I bought a pair of Rockbro's from AliExpress for R250 including shipping and use them for early morning rides. They are still good wind protection at that time of day regardless of the UV story. The okes in SA aelling them are really taking you for a ride at "R1799" down to "R799" lol.

Noted, thank you.

Looking to get myself a pair of photochromic glasses for mountain biking. The Oakley ones are wayy to expensive but I also don’t want something cheap and crappy that doesn’t work, I’ve found a decent pair on takealot for R800 and wanted to see what the quality is like, has anyone used these rockbros photochromic glasses before ?

Where are you from? This is not a sales pitch, but I work at a big Optom group and have a few options, very similar to the Rudy Project Rydon, but fairly priced. Send me a pm then maybe we can assist.

I sent retailer (a well known LBS) a pic and got a response along the lines of "that's odd".

So let's see what else I get from them and indirectly the distributors of Oakley.

"We've never seen anything like this on our sunglasses. Very odd.!" (was going to direct them here for just a small sample of disgruntled users)

"Ooooo, sorry ... we see that you're just out of warranty."

I do not agree that Oakley is better quality. They are not bad, but the plastic, rubber and polycarb is nothing special. (Of the big brand shades, I liked Rudy Project the most)

https://www.30southeyewear.com/shop?store-page=VELOS-RX-SHIFT-Transition-lens-p268617311

I ended up buying this Rockbros glasses and so far they are really nice, but damn those glasses do look pretty good as well will definitely get a pair of those next. Thanks for sharing

Ive bought 30South Originals, Wingmans and Mavericks, Im impressed by them so far. Im getting some photochromatic Velos and Wstermans next.

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying this Rockbros glasses and so far they are really nice, but damn those glasses do look pretty good as well will definitely get a pair of those next. Thanks for sharing

How you finding these sunglasses?

Are they photochromic and if so do they transition well and fast?

Not polarized right?

These 30south look nice too

Considering these as I need a pair of photochromic riding glasses as when riding trails that shift from sun to shaded areas I often have that moment of blindness with my dark lenses

How you finding these sunglasses?

Are they photochromic and if so do they transition well and fast?

Not polarized right?

These 30south look nice too

Considering these as I need a pair of photochromic riding glasses as when riding trails that shift from sun to shaded areas I often have that moment of blindness with my dark lenses

To be honest I’m no expert on riding glasses and don’t own any Oakley so I can’t really compare the quality, but so far they are working really well.

The lenses work well and they have quite a firm and comfy fit.

They aren’t polarized I think they just have uv protection up to uv400 if I’m not mistaken.

I would recommend them as they are a lot cheaper than all the other crazy prices and I feel for R700 you get exactly what you pay for.

The metal nose clip on my Oakleys keeps snapping and Oakley do not see this part. So you HAVE to buy fake oakleys and swop the part over. Getting some 3D printed is next best option.

To be honest I’m no expert on riding glasses and don’t own any Oakley so I can’t really compare the quality, but so far they are working really well.

The lenses work well and they have quite a firm and comfy fit.

They aren’t polarized I think they just have uv protection up to uv400 if I’m not mistaken.

I would recommend them as they are a lot cheaper than all the other crazy prices and I feel for R700 you get exactly what you pay for.

Thanks, just reviewing all my options before take plunge on oakleys or 100%

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with my Oakley's.

I went to an Oakley store in Auckland. Wow! Talk about customer service!
If you want replacement lenses, you get discount on the new ones when you hand the old ones in. And if you purchase a new pair of sunnies, but notice a defect in the store (e.g. a small scratch), it's an immediate 50% off.

Needless to say we spent 30min going through each pair of a certain style to find one with a scratch. And were successful!

Anyway, the store assistant said the main cause of the coating peeling off is from popping the sunnies on top of your head. The oil from your hair, and your sweat, cause the coating to degrade. 
Solution? Buy their expensive lens cleaner. Or, wash your sunnies in fresh water at the end of the day.

I have a number of Oakleys, either at one point in time the lenses went mad or the frames started peeling. 

Just recently started cycling and bought a pair of Darc's and so far I am impressed with the lens quality as I have quite light sensitive eyes. 

But time will tell.

Same problem with two pairs.

Decided yesterday afternoon time to try Revu for replacement lenses.

Pleasant dealings thus far and will report back when fitted.

I've bought 3 or 4 pairs of Oakleys over the years (as general sunglasses, not specifically for cycling). All of them had stuff peeling off the lenses. 

I checked out the D’Arcs SG Photochromic and Ocean TR90 photo chromatic sunglasses today.

Thoughts between the two, or much of a muchness?

Will be used for early rides where the sun slams you on the way home, and a night event. Both are comfortable and about the same price.

I checked out the D’Arcs SG Photochromic and Ocean TR90 photo chromatic sunglasses today.

Thoughts between the two, or much of a muchness?

Will be used for early rides where the sun slams you on the way home, and a night event. Both are comfortable and about the same price.

D’Arcs have a lifetime warranty.