Tried To Support Local Bike Shop -Eagle Canyon Cycles

rorydewet

I live in Weltevredenpark which is just around the corner. Although I am no mechanic, I have a chain wear tool so we can check the chain wear, and inspect the chainrings and cassette for obvious wear. That will likely rule out that being a problem. Next is bearings in the rear hub and freebody. I have the tools to remove a cassette and freehub. I recently replaced my old bike's. Cost me R300.

Could be something simple like overtightening the rear axle or bearings not put back correclty. R3k sounds extreme, unless they want to put in a brand new rear hub with freebody, and good ones as well!

Edited by Wimmas

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea

I'll take the spare wheel off of my 8th bike and let wife use it

sorry sarcasm not cool

dont know where to get a spare wheel

perhaps thats an option eagle could have offered

In my experience, most bike shops simply do not know what they are doing.

There is a lack of professionalism and skill in the industry.

Anyone can open a bike shop and hold out to be experts. There needs to be industry regulation and standards, which do not appear to exist in my city at least.

The value of the goods they work on would rival many car dealerships. As well as the fees charged!

It is a matter of who you are prepared to deal with.

It is all rather amateurish, disappointing and expensive.

Edited by Mamba

I live in Weltevredenpark which is just around the corner. Although I am no mechanic, I have a chain wear tool so we can check the chain wear, and inspect the chainrings and cassette for obvious wear. That will likely rule out that being a problem. Next is bearings in the rear hub and freebody. I have the tools to remove a cassette and freehub. I recently replaced my old bike's. Cost me R300.

Could be something simple like overtightening the rear axle or bearings not put back correclty. R3k sounds extreme, unless they want to put in a brand new rear hub with freebody, and good ones as well!

wimmas

i hear you but shouldn't the bike shop have all those tools and check stuff and check all this stuff when doing a service

my son is young but he hit nail on head.

a good shop would have done the service checked all the rest and called me up to say we think this that and the next is broken, worn faulty can we fix it

to get a bike back from a service and its worse than before is a BIG NO for me

also if customer bitches and you take bike back you better makse sure its fixed quickly, its a week now nothing done

Edited by rorydewet

Good idea

sorry sarcasm not cool

A better store would probably have had one to offer you.

I can't believe that EC can survive with all all the poor service reports that I've seen just here on Bikehub.

I guess there really isn't any bad publicity.!

Good idea

sorry sarcasm not cool

Your son's bike that needs the suspension parts  :thumbup: or just have a go at the freehub yourself. 

Go to Josh from The Cyclist Workshop, great guy and great service.

His shop is inside Nicolas Plants, just below North Gate on Northumberland Rd.

wimmas

i hear you but shouldn't the bike shop have all those tools and check stuff and check all this stuff when doing a service

my son is young but he hit nail on head.

a good shop would have done the service checked all the rest and called me up to say we think this that and the next is broken, worn faulty can we fix it

to get a bike back from a service and its worse than before is a BIG NO for me

also if customer bitches and you take bike back you better makse sure its fixed quickly, its a week now nothing done

I fully agree with you!

My buddy had a similar scenario at Northcliff Cycles, however, they gave him a replacement wheel so that he could at least ride until they were able to source the required part.

Just mentioning that I am able to possibly assist if you desperately want to get the bike going this weekend so your wife can ride. Maybe it is something small or a cheap part which can be sourced tomorrow and she can at least ride on Sunday. By the sounds of it you are also not going to return to Eagle Canyon Cycles.

I know we are not all technically inclined, but the more we know our stuff around bikes the more we can checkup on and put pressure on the LBS's to do a proper job.

I still prefer to do everything myself on my bikes, only if I really have to, like for a shock/fork service I will go to the shop.  

Go to Josh from The Cyclist Workshop, great guy and great service.

His shop is inside Nicolas Plants, just below North Gate on Northumberland Rd.

Don't rush to conclusions.

I've had VERY **** service from him as well as parts and a bike going missing.

They/we all have bad days. It's how one responds that makes the difference. 

So far I'm not impressed at all

I got so sick and tired of Kaking out LBS for s--ty service - I started fixing my own bikes - Now I only have to kakout myself.

+10000