Handlebar stem length

WaynejG

Maybe the same reason why you can incline leg press 250kg but only squat 50kg? Lol

Ive gone back and forth the last couple of weekends between 60mm/780 and 90mm/740mm setups on my SS mtb and i swear i’m faster with the longer stem and narrower bars (more stretched out). It defo feels less comfy but it also feels like a lot more power can be put down when you need to.

Just my theory. I ain't no expert. From a pure power perspective I think it's to do with the rotation of your hips and where your sit area is in relation to the bb. More stretched out = further forward = making more wattages. Question is do you want to spend all day on a torture rack?

If you look at the roadies the trend is for shorter bikes and longer slammed stems. Totally the opposite to MTB.

I'm sure there's someone on here who actually knows the reasons.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Just my theory. I ain't no expert. From a pure power perspective I think it's to do with the rotation of your hips and where your sit area is in relation to the bb. More stretched out = further forward = making more wattages. Question is do you want to spend all day on a torture rack?

If you look at the roadies the trend is for shorter bikes and longer slammed stems. Totally the opposite to MTB.

I'm sure there's someone on here who actually knows the reasons.

Maybe trying to gain an aero advantage?

Maybe a sports physio can weigh in wrt what muscles are used, etc.

Maybe trying to gain an aero advantage?

Maybe a sports physio can weigh in wrt what muscles are used, etc.

Pro MTB XCO riders use a longer stem and very much negative angle. They say the more acute the hip angle the more the power.

Think about doing a squat. The more upright the more you struggle, that is why people lean forward which is really bad if you have weight on your shoulders but not bad if you are sitting on a saddle pushing a pedal down rather than trying to push your weight and a weight on your shoulders up.

Pro MTB XCO riders use a longer stem and very much negative angle. They say the more acute the hip angle the more the power.

Think about doing a squat. The more upright the more you struggle, that is why people lean forward which is really bad if you have weight on your shoulders but not bad if you are sitting on a saddle pushing a pedal down rather than trying to push your weight and a weight on your shoulders up.

Similar to TT position then. Although those usually have steeper seat tube angles than XC bikes.

My ride with the original and longer stem on will not happen today as we have gale force winds here in PE and I ain't no kite [emoji1].

Will try for tomorrow.

Put the 100mm stem back on and went for a 103km ride. Legs just felt way better with the longer stem. Will teach me to leave well enough alone.

I have a 120mm one for you - imagine how good your legs would feel with that :P