Groenkloof Pretoria - Safe to ride?

Lang Frans

Hi all

I recall an incident or 2 were posted in the community news paper regarding incidents at Groenkloof in the past 2 years.

Can anyone perhaps confirm if they ride the Groenkloof trails and feel safe doing so.

Regards Francois

The riding there is/was great, but I just dont think its worth it anymore, with the choice of great bike parks in and around pretoria now days. As with all things run by the state..... it could be great, but simply isnt.

I havent been in a few years - we still occasionally do the 4x4 trail and some game viewing, but I wouldnt go on the bike, unless in a group of 8 or more.

We haven't had an incident in the area since August when two cyclists were robbed in Klapperkop. Within 15 minutes we flooded the area with 20 security guards with myself and my dog sweeping the area from the fort towards the circle, I know from my dog's reaction that we were very close to the perpetrators although we did not catch them. I think it was very close call and they got a huge fright and they have stayed away from the reserve since then, we have also had a continuous presence of security companies in Klapperkop in the mornings which has acted as an additional deterrent. There are groups starting to ride off road in Klapperkop on Saturday mornings if there's interest I'll post times on here.

All the activity in Klapperkop means that the criminal activity should move to Groenkloof but I have noticed a huge amount of Metro Police activity at fountains circle, heck someone was even arrested for illegal dumping last week! So my general impression is that Groenkloof is safer now than it was in the beginning of the year but as always rather ride in groups and if you are alone rather avoid the area closest to the circle (north).

The riding there is/was great, but I just dont think its worth it anymore, with the choice of great bike parks in and around pretoria now days. As with all things run by the state..... it could be great, but simply isnt.

I havent been in a few years - we still occasionally do the 4x4 trail and some game viewing, but I wouldnt go on the bike, unless in a group of 8 or more.

Off-topic, but I was wondering:

We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee(2009), and I want to start doing some 4x4 trails. How would you rate Groenkloof as a starting point for someone relatively inexperienced in 4x4 specific trails? 

I don't mind scratching the car, but don't want to roll or cause major damage.

(I have driven allot of rocky roads on private game reserves and on farms but have't done specific 4x4 stuff that will really test your planning and technique.)

Or would you recommend a different venue to get accustomed to driving trails?

We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee(2009), and I want to start doing some 4x4 trails. How would you rate Groenkloof as a starting point for someone relatively inexperienced in 4x4 specific trails? 

(I have driven allot of rocky roads on private game reserves and on farms but have't done specific 4x4 stuff that will really test your planning and technique.)

with the choice of great bike parks in and around pretoria now days

I think this comment nails it. There are so many alternatives available - why would you chance it?

Groenkloof is great as a starting point. After heavy rains some sections can get really bad, and should be avoided, and there is one really tricky rocky climb that I wouldnt do unless you have proper underbosy protection, but it has a "chicken run"

Im in pretoria till christmas, and my ITB injury means im not cycling much, let me know if you want to meet up, I would gladly show you around the Groenkloof Trail

Groenkloof is great as a starting point. After heavy rains some sections can get really bad, and should be avoided, and there is one really tricky rocky climb that I wouldnt do unless you have proper underbosy protection, but it has a "chicken run"

Im in pretoria till christmas, and my ITB injury means im not cycling much, let me know if you want to meet up, I would gladly show you around the Groenkloof Trail

Thanks, I would really enjoy a heads-up. We are driving down to the Garden Route on Wednesday, so will have to be in 2021.

I'll drop you a PM... :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

We haven't had an incident in the area since August when two cyclists were robbed in Klapperkop. Within 15 minutes we flooded the area with 20 security guards with myself and my dog sweeping the area from the fort towards the circle, I know from my dog's reaction that we were very close to the perpetrators although we did not catch them. I think it was very close call and they got a huge fright and they have stayed away from the reserve since then, we have also had a continuous presence of security companies in Klapperkop in the mornings which has acted as an additional deterrent. There are groups starting to ride off road in Klapperkop on Saturday mornings if there's interest I'll post times on here.

All the activity in Klapperkop means that the criminal activity should move to Groenkloof but I have noticed a huge amount of Metro Police activity at fountains circle, heck someone was even arrested for illegal dumping last week! So my general impression is that Groenkloof is safer now than it was in the beginning of the year but as always rather ride in groups and if you are alone rather avoid the area closest to the circle (north).

Well done to you and you’re teams doing the response security. 1) Greonkloof is one gem of trail worth keeping safe. 2) It’s realy true bush with animals in the city. 3) Some better marketing and visual security on weekends will do wonders. This could be a Northenfarms! Some local bike parks mite have interest dissing Groenkloof safety. Keep it up.

• 6 months later...