peugeot rapport

nelson8xx@gmail.com

From that page:

“ Unfortunately, exactly dating a Peugeot earlier than the late 1970s is an art rather than a science, and is often an estimate at best. Even original owners have a hard time remembering the year that they purchased the bicycle. That said, it is possible to date a bike within a couple of years with some confidence based on frame features and components. See the 'Frames, Headbadges and Decals' webpage for a pictorial timeline of frame features, and the 'Parts & Accessories' webpage for information on when specific components were found on 'U' bicycles.

Older bicycles have a serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket. If the number has six digits the frame was probably made in the 1960s, seven digits in the 1970s. Sometimes, the first digit indicates the year within each decade that the frame was made. For example, 1940481 and 2400884 represent 1971 and 1972, respectively. However, there are many cases when the first digit suggests a frame production year that is older than the actual age of the bicycle. For example, the serial number 1355592 on a 1975 bicycle. The reverse has not been documented, so it is likely that bicycles are no older than the first digit in the factory serial number, but could be younger. Sometimes local bike shops etched serial numbers into the rear dropout, but this number may or may not match the original.“

Edited by morneS555