Things you've heard people call parts or equipment

DR ◣◢

Yoh... This thread is just bike snob whingery at it's finest and one of the reasons 75% of the site users don't dare venture onto the forums for fear of being ridiculed by the Hub Velominati.... 

Shame.

It's also sometimes important to all speak the same language. Not as in English or Afrikaans or whatever, but the same technical language, or even jargon if you will, so we can have a common understanding. By common I mean similar, nor base.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yoh... This thread is just bike snob whingery at it's finest and one of the reasons 75% of the site users don't dare venture onto the forums for fear of being ridiculed by the Hub Velominati....

No man! it’s not meant like that i think lol. At least not for me it isn't? I think it’s a cool thread since we all at some stage called things like we saw them instead of their ‘scientifically correct’ names. I’ve already learned a new thing. You know, shooting down everything as unPC can be seen in the same light .???????? Edited by morneS555

Ok, what about we embarrass ourselves too:

I’ve recently called a hydraulic brake hose a ‘brake cable’

A derailleur jocky wheel a ‘pulley’

A star nut a ‘spider nut’

I’m pretty sure i’ve called a chainring a ‘sprocket’ before.

????

Edited by morneS555

I created this thread not to be a **** but to be lekker. 

We can all have a laugh at some of the things we hear and see. You can place this thread in almost any online forum and it will take care of itself. 

Shame.

It's also sometimes important to all speak the same language. Not as in English or Afrikaans or whatever, but the same technical language, or even jargon if you will, so we can have a common understanding. By common I mean similar, nor base.

Half of these are just spelling mistakes and language barrier errors.

I married an Afrikaans woman. Her English is not brilliant. My Afrikaans is not brilliant. So we meet in the middle and don't knit pick.

If you write trial instead of trail or thread instead of tread, I can still understand you if the context is accounted for. That sort of thing doesn't bother me at all.

Also, bikesnobbery. I used to think that it was important to know about bike stuff. I have subsequently learned that knowing how to ride bike stuff is way more fun. The best part is, so many good bike riders don't know bike stuff, get terminology wrong all the time, call things the wrong name etc and it doesn't matter. They ride bikes super well. Often way better than the guys who have vast bike stuffs knowledge.

The cool part about bikes is that you can choose to get as involved or remain as uninvolved as you want. The uncool part about bikes is when people judge other people for not going as 'deep' as they have.

So while my comment was said with 'some' humour, I do also think that deep down, judging someone who knows less than you is pretty lame.

I know, I also used to be all 'flared bars on a road bike!' and 'My rigid SS is way more tardcore than your dual suss' and look down on people who couldn't build a wheel within 1mm tolerance in under 15 minutes etc etc.... Now I'm more stoked to ride my bike. I hate building wheels and I actually prefer handing my bike to a shop to fix than doing it myself because I'm over it.

We can all have a laugh at some of the things we hear and see. You can place this thread in almost any online forum and it will take care of itself. 

Ja, my initial comment was said in the most part with my tongue in cheek, until TNT tried to justify it with bikesnobbery.....  :ph34r:

Yep to me this falls into the same category as missheard song lyrics. Like when my friend belted out "Woo, we're going to eat Pizza" instead of "Going to Ibiza". It's totally cool to point and laugh and I'm happy for people to do the same to me. 

(and by "friend" I mean myself). 

Half of these are just spelling mistakes and language barrier errors.

I married an Afrikaans woman. Her English is not brilliant. My Afrikaans is not brilliant. So we meet in the middle and don't knit pick.

If you write trial instead of trail or thread instead of tread, I can still understand you if the context is accounted for. That sort of thing doesn't bother me at all.

Also, bikesnobbery. I used to think that it was important to know about bike stuff. I have subsequently learned that knowing how to ride bike stuff is way more fun. The best part is, so many good bike riders don't know bike stuff, get terminology wrong all the time, call things the wrong name etc and it doesn't matter. They ride bikes super well. Often way better than the guys who have vast bike stuffs knowledge.

The cool part about bikes is that you can choose to get as involved or remain as uninvolved as you want. The uncool part about bikes is when people judge other people for not going as 'deep' as they have.

So while my comment was said with 'some' humour, I do also think that deep down, judging someone who knows less than you is pretty lame.

I know, I also used to be all 'flared bars on a road bike!' and 'My rigid SS is way more tardcore than your dual suss' and look down on people who couldn't build a wheel within 1mm tolerance in under 15 minutes etc etc.... Now I'm more stoked to ride my bike. I hate building wheels and I actually prefer handing my bike to a shop to fix than doing it myself because I'm over it.

Ja, my initial comment was said in the most part with my tongue in cheek, until TNT tried to justify it with bikesnobbery.....  :ph34r:

You do get that your point of view is just as exclusionary? Or maybe it's just the way you put it across? Some people get enjoyment out of the technical details and things. You can't in a sense diminish them for that?

Your way of enjoying the sport doesn't mean that someone else's way is not allowed.

BTW, I must be terrible at whatever snobbery you are accusing me of when I have no clue about half the cycling related things you mention here.

Edited by TNT1

My all time favourite....not equipment but when people “drive” their bikes and not ride their bikes....

I have a flat wheel...nope....it’s still round, you have a flat tire...or is it tyre...

I drive my bicycle ;)

post-19687-0-03257000-1608213846_thumb.jpg

Or whenever the name for something came to be simply because a certain brand pioneered it.

For bikes it is Slime instead of tire sealant.

What else is there? I'm drawing a blank.

Do you remember ‘Slap Socks’? Hahaha

Chainstay protectors btw

Edited by morneS555