Bike lost on the N1 freeway Cape Town

Dry Biltong

My Pyga fell off my trailer on the N1 freeway under the Durban Road bridge (direction Paarl) at about 8am this morning

I doubled back via the next off ramp to retrieve the bike but found nothing

My new Tygerberg membership board no 436 was attached to the bike

If anybody has any information, would appreciate to hear back

Thanks

I imagine that it would have been pretty busy @ 8:00.

Every chance that a following car would have picked it up.

Hopefully a good samaritan looking to get it back to it's owner.

Good luck.

Also...lots of vagrants living next to the road in the park servitude at that offramp. Might have seen it and collected.

doesn't sound good. hopefully a good samaritan, but then surely they would have hung around a bit longer.

best bet is to hopefully get an eyewitness and then an idea of the car that collected

hope a miracle pulls through

In what kind of shape are we expecting to get this bike back after falling off on the N1 going around 100-120kph? 

Would insurance cover this?

In what kind of shape are we expecting to get this bike back after falling off on the N1 going around 100-120kph? 

Bicycle would be proper f*****. Insurance should have no issue to pay out.

depends on the type of bike, light wieght carbon machine, might be lucky to salvage some drive train components.

Big allu downhill or trail rig, might have faired a bit better

A similar situation happened with a client of mines bike a few months ago. Insurance did covert it, but it took about two weeks to finalise the claim, as they first tried to get the camera footage from Sanral to verify the story. not sure if they ever got it or not, but after about two weeks the claim was paid out and bike replaced

Similar happened right in front of us in the Northern Cape.  In fact, the gent had just passed us when his bike came off the trailer, and slid along the road.  I had to break hard not to ride over the bike.

Damage:

- seat totally stuffed

- bad scuff marks on the pedal

- The one grip was destroyed

- the end of the handle bar was scraped badly, but the bar was still usable.

In fact, the bike was in MUCH better shape than I thought it would be.

Guess it all depends how it lands, slides, or worse if it starts flipping ....

Years ago on the way to that k@k Sun City race, all the cars in front of us suddenly started swerving in the dark. It was a flattened road bike.

I Hope you get your Pyga back.

Years ago on the way to that k@k Sun City race, all the cars in front of us suddenly started swerving in the dark. It was a flattened road bike.

I Hope you get your Pyga back.

Only lekker thing about that race(even the MTB wasn't that great tbh, but the road was real k@k) was the actual weekend away in sun city.

OP, Hope you get it back. Was it insured?

IMG_5231.tiffIn what kind of shape are we expecting to get this bike back after falling off on the N1 going around 100-120kph? 

My Trek Superfly wasn't mounted properly on the bike rack and flew off at 120 km/h (or more) on the N7 in 2016. Thought it was going to be a write off but it just needed a new seat, rear derailleur, handlebar and cable....

IMG_5231.tiff

IMG_5230.tiff

IMG_5228.tiff

IMG_5229.tiff

Edited by Vishal72

I came off a mtb around 60kph offroad and dived off the side of an embankment in an attempt to preserve the bike. It was a brand new bike. It literally only had a 5mm scratch on the right hand brake lever haha. Myself on the other hand....

Mtb are not made of glass, at least not the non-plastic ones haha.

Edited by morneS555

4th bike I have heard of falling off during transport this December.

2 off of trailers 2 off of bike racks.

I don’t even use my bike rack anymore. I spend more time watching the bikes in the mirror than looking where I’m going!

Lucky I’m single, kid free loser so my back seats are always down, front wheel off and bike loaded in 2 minutes. I know it’s also safe while transporting and don’t stress about theft after rides etc.

After reading all of these I don’t think my emotions would cope transporting any other way :)

Edited by Markellis

4th bike I have heard of falling off during transport this December.

2 off of trailers 2 off of bike racks.

I don’t even use my bike rack anymore. I spend more time watching the bikes in the mirror than looking where I’m going!

Lucky I’m single, kid free looser so my back seats are always down, front wheel off and bike loaded in 2 minutes. I know it’s also safe while transporting and don’t stress about theft after rides etc.

After reading all of these I don’t think my emotions would cope transporting any other way :)

Yip me too, if there is space she will go inside the back of the car ...  :whistling: