Gordons Bay to Hermanus

TheAntoine1

Has anyone recently cycled the road from Gordons Bay to Hermanus? A small group of us are planning to do this in a few weeks time with a stop overnight in Kleinmond. Is the route safe or are there any known crime hotspots on the way? A friend did it years ago and it was fine - not sure these days tho? 

Any relevant info regarding the route will be appreciated.

The road between Gordon’s Bay and Rooi-Els is narrow and not really built to have cars and bikes share it. Rather stay off it with a bike.

Has anyone recently cycled the road from Gordons Bay to Hermanus? A small group of us are planning to do this in a few weeks time with a stop overnight in Kleinmond. Is the route safe or are there any known crime hotspots on the way? A friend did it years ago and it was fine - not sure these days tho?

Rode Gordon's bay to Arabella return in late September, it's a beautiful ride but just make sure you start super early from Gordon's bay. The first 20km to Rooi-Els is very narrow so you want to be off it before people are driving around.

It's a short ride to Kleinmond, you'll be there before breakfast.

Should be fine from a crime hotspot perspective. I'd opt riding the coastal Clarence Drive route instead of riding the N2, find it far more scenic and you save a lot of elevation from rolling hills, - riding the coastal route is also exactly 20km shorter.

Apart from the hectic holiday traffic at this time of year, Sir Lowry's Pass in particular is known to funnel wind from the Jonkershoek valley making it very gusty and quite dangerous at times. Years ago, that wind yanked my bike off car's roof-rack when travelling to Knysna - it was early morning and was just able to save the bike from being squished by a upcoming truck behind.

The only downside of the Clarence Road coastal route is there is no broad road shoulder between Gordon's Bay to Rooiels, but once you hit Rooiels hill, there is plenty yellow line shoulder all the way through. Though Clarence Road should have lower traffic volume, watch out for the week-end motor-bike groups which can be over-ambitious and risk-taking through the bends, making things risky.

The Wannabees club from Somerset West rides that route often - it is relatively incedent free.

Imo the danger is from super bikes and sports cars racing past once in a while. Bosts on trailers to a lesser extent are also uncomfortable.

We rode that route in a group of 6 ladies last weekend and it was sublimely beautiful and would do it again in a flash. No crime or traffic problems although wind can be a beast at times.

We rode that route in a group of 6 ladies last weekend and it was sublimely beautiful and would do it again in a flash. No crime or traffic problems although wind can be a beast at times.

It looks stunning when travelling the route by car. We are thinking of making the final call a day or two before so that we can get a clearer indication of the projected wind (Windguru is still the most accurate IMO followed by yr weather). We also will ride in the week and early morning to hopefully miss the Harley and sport car individuals.

It is reasonably safe on the weekend, especially if you are riding with a big group.

The only crime hotspot in that area is the section between Strand and Gordons Bay. A lot of cyclist have been attacked on that section of road over the past few years. If you are in a big group or if you are starting in Gordons Bay (like you said) then it will be fine.

Tried to ride out there today, but the wind was so bad that by Greenways I was like stuff this, turned back and decided to head out to Stellies rather, not a breath.

Tried to ride out there today, but the wind was so bad that by Greenways I was like stuff this, turned back and decided to head out to Stellies rather, not a breath.

It is a very exposed stretch of road ... can only imagine what it must be like the the winds are howling from the south.

Pick your day to ride it carefully ... :D