Riding in Hermanus

Santa Dan

Hi all, got to Hermanus and very keen to see where I can MTB, ride on road or gravel ride. Particularly interested in MTB and gravel but I have all my bikes with me. Any suggestions are welcome!

Edited by Santa Dan

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, got to Hermanus and very keen to see where I can MTB, ride on road or gravel ride. Particularly interested in MTB and gravel but I have all my bikes with me. Any suggestions are welcome!

Hemel and Aarde valley is a pretty good place to ride.

Yes the H&A trails are something special, and there are some fantastic options in the initial forest bit and then multiple routes (red, black, etc.) going forward.

For a quick burn around town, climb to the mini reservoir / water works silo off mountain drive; it has an exit just to the right of the silo, and you can ride this down to the astro, and then go through (via the road parallel to the golf course) fernkloof all the way to the other side of hermanus. The signage towards the end is pretty poor though, and I've ended up on walking trails and been shouted at by very aggravated residents!

There are also trails in Stanford, but the road works / stop and go delays are painful on that road. One last option is the route from Peregriene farm stall all the way to hermanus, but requires some time and a sense of humour.

As they all said. Hemel and Aarde. There are some nice parts and some tough parts.

Thanks all - I went to H&A today, it was well worth it. Going back to do the black route this week.

Will also try that ride to the Mini Resvoir on my gravel bike. Came cross some seriously nice gravel roads - just need to figure out how they all come together! Ha ha

Yes the H&A trails are something special, and there are some fantastic options in the initial forest bit and then multiple routes (red, black, etc.) going forward.

For a quick burn around town, climb to the mini reservoir / water works silo off mountain drive; it has an exit just to the right of the silo, and you can ride this down to the astro, and then go through (via the road parallel to the golf course) fernkloof all the way to the other side of hermanus. The signage towards the end is pretty poor though, and I've ended up on walking trails and been shouted at by very aggravated residents!

There are also trails in Stanford, but the road works / stop and go delays are painful on that road. One last option is the route from Peregriene farm stall all the way to hermanus, but requires some time and a sense of humour.

Please tell me more - is this a MTB track or just gravel/backroads? Is it managed/maintained and if so, who do you contact for a permit? 

Do you have a gpx file or a link to find more info? I am very keen to check this out if i have a few days to spare before or after our next Stanford cheese and wine weekend in February...

The hemel en aarde road from Caledon to Hermanus, is it a tar road? Safe to cycle alone? Looking at the map it seems like the most sensible route, Hermanus and back.

Please tell me more - is this a MTB track or just gravel/backroads? Is it managed/maintained and if so, who do you contact for a permit?

Do you have a gpx file or a link to find more info? I am very keen to check this out if i have a few days to spare before or after our next Stanford cheese and wine weekend in February...

I don’t have a gpx file on hand but it’s quite simple, you travel down Viljoenshoop road and then turn left onto highlands road. Highlands road eventually turn into a gravel road which come out close to Arabella golf course, from here you can either take the tar road into Hermanus or the gravel road via Karwyderskraal road. No permit required.

I did something similar one or two days ago. I’ll share the route I took. Definitely do able on a gravel grinder, I’ve done it on both my gravel and mtb.

Edited by Reece15

The hemel en aarde road from Caledon to Hermanus, is it a tar road? Safe to cycle alone? Looking at the map it seems like the most sensible route, Hermanus and back.

Yes, it was fully tarred a few years ago.

Some of the older sections dont have much of a shoulder, but there is a fair number of cyclists on this road.

IF you have a MTB, rather use the Hemel and Aarde Trail network, roughly the last 20km towards Hermanus.

Certainly safe in terms of security.

ENJOY !!

Unless Irons has some farmer connections, he is probably talking about taking the Highlands road to the Kleinmond turnoff, then hooking a left to the Karwyderskraal road, and then following that to the Hemel & Aarde Valley. Plan properly and get permits beforehand and you can even drop into the H&A trails for some pudding.

Edit: Link with route and POIs

https://goo.gl/maps/YoECreYdrLR5ykNYA

Edited by PhilipV

If you do decide to go out stanford way, I will gladly share the GPX file for our Cheese and Wine Ride - but please note you do go across some private property, which needs to be arranged in advance - I will give you the contacts of who to call, and give them a heads up that you may be coming as well - but please dont go ride it without getting permission up front.

For some really epic trails, you can also call Manor House - they have about 40km of single track, but access needs to be pre-arranged 

If you do decide to go out stanford way, I will gladly share the GPX file for our Cheese and Wine Ride - but please note you do go across some private property, which needs to be arranged in advance - I will give you the contacts of who to call, and give them a heads up that you may be coming as well - but please dont go ride it without getting permission up front.

For some really epic trails, you can also call Manor House - they have about 40km of single track, but access needs to be pre-arranged 

Is it possible to stay with them and to ride their trails ?

May be easier, and also ensures our money goes to those that support our sport .... (noting many are already in the area, and staying elsewhere)

Is it possible to stay with them and to ride their trails ?

May be easier, and also ensures our money goes to those that support our sport .... (noting many are already in the area, and staying elsewhere)

They do have superb accomodation - various options available - 

http://stanfordvalley.co.za

You can also Stay at Bluegum Estate, across the road - they have some trails and will be linking them into the Stanford Valley/Manor House Network

If Covid doesnt get in the way and completely mess things up - the 2022 Epic will be coming through these trails - so they are doing a lot of work linking trail networks etc at the moment

*No direct affiliation to either establishment

Hermanus to Caledon on the H en A tar road is a great ride but I hope you like hills...

Or on your gravel bike ride the H en A road and then turn left (after a steep pull and just before a dam) on the Karwyderskrall (sp?) Road which is gravel at that point and ride until you hit a T-junction on tar and then ride back to Hermanus. Incidentally the tar Karwyderskrall road to Botrivier is very pretty and quiet.

Unless Irons has some farmer connections, he is probably talking about taking the Highlands road to the Kleinmond turnoff, then hooking a left to the Karwyderskraal road, and then following that to the Hemel & Aarde Valley. Plan properly and get permits beforehand and you can even drop into the H&A trails for some pudding.

Edit: Link with route and POIs

https://goo.gl/maps/YoECreYdrLR5ykNYA

This is the link that was shared with me a couple of years ago: https://www.strava.com/activities/1219513235.

Received from: https://community.bikehub.co.za/user/50271-dirtypot/