Riding in Hermanus

Santa Dan

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hermanus to Caledon on the H en A tar road is a great ride but I hope you like hills...

Or on your gravel bike ride the H en A road and then turn left (after a steep pull and just before a dam) on the Karwyderskrall (sp?) Road which is gravel at that point and ride until you hit a T-junction on tar and then ride back to Hermanus. Incidentally the tar Karwyderskrall road to Botrivier is very pretty and quiet.

I’m leaving from Caledon Spa to Hermanus. Hopefully all will go well as I’m planning to do it on Tuesday and Wednesday. Round of golf tomorrow.

I'm in Kleinmond from 29/12 - 11/01, and wouldn't mind joining up with for a few rides in the area. MTB
I'm keen on riding to/from Peregrine Farm Stall (+/- 70Km and 1200m elevation gain). Just not sure if it's safe on my ace.

Also keen on ridng at Hemel en Aarde.

Send me a PM if you're interested, otherwise I'll wing it most days.

Edited by Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Kleinmond from 29/12 - 11/01, and wouldn't mind joining up with for a few rides in the area. MTB

I'm keen on riding to/from Peregrine Farm Stall (+/- 70Km and 1200m elevation gain). Just not sure if it's safe on my ace.

Also keen on ridng at Hemel en Aarde.

Send me a PM if you're interested, otherwise I'll wing it most days.

I realise this reply is in all likelihood way too late...but I was in Kleinmond just before Xmas. I did the Kogelberg ( Palmiet River ) trail twice and really enjoyed it. I thought, for some reason, that the turn-around point would be marked...but it wasn't. I have since read somewhere that the "Stokoei bridge" over the Palmiet river is the turn-around. I actually rode beyond that. I rode on my own and felt totally comfortable by the way.

Then when Google- Mapping it at home, I came to realise that I was not too far from the Highlands road, so figured that could make a nice circular route as the Highlands road will bring you back to the R44 near Arabella. OR....you could head the other way on the Highlands road toward Peregrines. 

On another note, though, all tel numbers I found about the reserve were non-existent. The 1st time I rode I got there to find a closed gate.It only opens at 7.30 am. The second time the gate was open but there was no-one at the office. Doesn't say much about the management of the place.

Edited by EssBee

I realise this reply is in all likelihood way too late...but I was in Kleinmond just before Xmas. I did the Kogelberg ( Palmiet River ) trail twice and really enjoyed it. I thought, for some reason, that the turn-around point would be marked...but it wasn't. I have since read somewhere that the "Stokoei bridge" over the Palmiet river is the turn-around. I actually rode beyond that. I rode on my own and felt totally comfortable by the way.

Then when Google- Mapping it at home, I came to realise that I was not too far from the Highlands road, so figured that could make a nice circular route as the Highlands road will bring you back to the R44 near Arabella. OR....you could head the other way on the Highlands road toward Peregrines.

On another note, though, all tel numbers I found about the reserve were non-existent. The 1st time I rode I got there to find a closed gate.It only opens at 7.30 am. The second time the gate was open but there was no-one at the office. Doesn't say much about the management of the place.

Thanks. I rode with a few locals today, and they mentioned the ride up Highlands road and then coming out at the Palmiet river (they are still negotiating with Cape Nature to use their property).

Friday I’m going up to Peregrine to meet the family, then back down again.

Thanks. I rode with a few locals today, and they mentioned the ride up Highlands road and then coming out at the Palmiet river (they are still negotiating with Cape Nature to use their property).

Just FYI:

Peregrine's Pies, Ginger Beer and Apple juice is good value for money imho. Also their array of breads is great value too.

On the signboard at the entrance to the reserve are two numbers:

021 483 0190

087 288 0499

If my ph records serve me correctly, the 021 number is non-existent but the cell no. was answered.

Just FYI:

Peregrine's Pies, Ginger Beer and Apple juice is good value for money imho. Also their array of breads is great value too.

Last time I was there, winter 2018, it happened to be the same day as the SA XCM champs. A bit of FOMO being dressed in normal clothes with lots of people in muddy lycra.

Last time I was there, winter 2018, it happened to be the same day as the SA XCM champs. A bit of FOMO being dressed in normal clothes with lots of people in muddy lycra.

I bet overhearing snippets of stories from their ride also made you go a shade of green. I know it would've done me in too.

Loved Peregrine since I was a laaitjie. Such a lekker Farmstall and restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

I presume the Hemel & Aarde trails are open under current lockdown levels? 

Heading out that way for the weekend...  :D  Can't wait!

(and where do you buy permits these days? Haven't been there for a year now)

Edited by Stoffel76

The trails are still open. Camphill is still closed. Follow the blue route around the bottom of Camphill and you will then link up with red and black routes again. Permits from Wine Village or Village Cycles, both in the same complex on your left at the robots turning up the Hemel en Aarde valley road.

The trails are still open. Camphill is still closed. Follow the blue route around the bottom of Camphill and you will then link up with red and black routes again. Permits from Wine Village or Village Cycles, both in the same complex on your left at the robots turning up the Hemel en Aarde valley road.

Now here is a voice from the past....remember me, Simon, friend of Shane JvV?

I see they are back to using the honestly box system outside Village Cycles so you can buy permits anytime...

And as always, there have been changes and upgrades to the trails... kudos to those who maintain them! [emoji106]a046aa4cba5d0864d8afa2865667f2b1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Howzit

I'm a local shredder here in Hermanus but I ride enduro/downhill. I know the trails aren't great for that but riding alone isn't fun. So if anyone (who is a local here) is keen to ride just send me a message. I know I can't be the only person here who rides enduro/downhill :P

Howzit

I'm a local shredder here in Hermanus but I ride enduro/downhill. I know the trails aren't great for that but riding alone isn't fun. So if anyone (who is a local here) is keen to ride just send me a message. I know I can't be the only person here who rides enduro/downhill :P

Sent you a PM.