Best Brand - Pre ride drinks, ride drinks, post ride drinks, shakes

LLTHB

Coffee and rusk  before setting off. Bottles filled with Game .Banana and date cookie in my pocket .Super M or Steri stumpie  if i bonk .Best recovery drink are two Steri Stumpies 

Edited by arendoog

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coffee and rusk  before setting off. Bottles filled with Game .Banana and date cookie in my pocket .Super M or Steri stumpie  if i bonk .Best recovery drink is two Steri Stumpies

#low-fatsterristumpimustfall

Hello Ouens.

Gooi asseblief.

Best brand of products all around.

Pre ride drinks, during the ride drinks, after the ride drinks, shakes.

So confusing with all the advertising rubbish.

Hoping to settle on one brand for the lot.

Of course a lot of okes are gonna say bananas, Black Cat, nothing needed etc.

But if you get past this, is there one brand of supplements that fits it all.

Cheers.

You’re going to have to choose your own by trying them out and finding the one or two that work for you, sports drinks are like opinions, we all have our own favorite.

There is one that has not been mentioned so far, WATER

Don’t start your day or leave home without it

Powerbar hits it really high ito taste and effect. Love their protein bars. Just a bit too pricy in general.

Same as mentioned below, Singletrack should be the best out there, but I also could not handle the taste anymore.

NamedSport tastes really good, still not sure if it's just a more expensive version of Powerade.

KetoNutrition is similar to Singtrack; good ingredients but lack a bit in taste. I mix it with NamedSport, works well.

On shorter rides, we love the zero sugar caffeine High5 tablets. Tastes good and sort of guilt free.

32Gi is a bit high in sugar, imo.

PVM's energy bars are nice, undecisive on their drinks. Local is lekker - if you please.

If it is not obvious here, taste plays a big role for me. Tangy and not too sweet. Watered down is my go-to.

Nutrition and hydration is highly personal, you will learn to love and hate certain kinds of certain products as you go. I don't think there is one particular brand that will be "the one".

I would venture to say that most people (weekend warriors) eat and drink more than they need before, during and after ... that's my observation anyway!

I can do a +- 30km morning ride fasted and I'm not keto adapted. It actually works better for me that way, because if I eat too much / close to the time I'm riding my stomach complains. I do tend to eat too much after rides.

* edit: I have tea and coffee before a fasted morning ride, just not food.

Edited by MrJacques

I have been using the powerbar drinks and bar lately and they great.

Oats, boiled egg and coffee before start.

For long rides, over 2-3 hours, baby potatoes with salt, hard cheese, date balls or fruit cake.

Super Moooooo is much better

No, you are wrong, Steri Stumpi is the OG - forever - but I agree, the new low fat version must fall....

Stage races or Ironman 70.3 distance, start your day with Samp and Beans. 

Try it with a bit of butter and salt. You can thank me later.

I mostly agree with Jewbacca, the only supplemental/artificial thing I ever do is that if I go on a longer ride (>100km) or if its really hot, one of my bottles is filled with rehydrate and the other with water. Otherwise they are both filled with water. Judging by all of the crusty salt that forms around my temples and brow after a longer ride some of those salts and minerals need urgent replacing. I noticed that if I didn't do that I'd often develop a nasty headache later in the day regardless of how much or little water I drank during the ride. This may be more unique to me. I'm not sure.

But other than that, I stay the hell away from shakes and things that seem to have lots of marketing hype. Every season some new brand seems to crop up but I think they are really just trying to capitalize on people's need for a "magic pill". My old housemate used to take all sorts of shakes and supplements for his gym and excercise regime and they actually did quite a bit of damage to him now that he's a bit older. We've spent hundreds of thousands of years filling up on plants (including starchy ones) and meat when it was available... it's probably still the safest bet.

Interesting abour the fiery headache afterwards. Thought I was the only one with that problem... Edited by Scary Rider

your normal breakfast pre.

bottle,  rehydrate sport in one and water in other during or post

after eat real food  post 

Hello Ouens.

Gooi asseblief.

Best brand of products all around.

Pre ride drinks, during the ride drinks, after the ride drinks, shakes.

So confusing with all the advertising rubbish.

Hoping to settle on one brand for the lot.

Of course a lot of okes are gonna say bananas, Black Cat, nothing needed etc.

But if you get past this, is there one brand of supplements that fits it all.

Cheers.

Hi LLTHB

Drop us a mail on info@cadencenutrition.com and let us know what type of riding you're doing, what your goal events are and current nutrition. We're happy to offer some guidance to help you.