Best Brand - Pre ride drinks, ride drinks, post ride drinks, shakes

LLTHB

I have been using the powerbar drinks and bar lately and they great.

Oats, boiled egg and coffee before start.

For long rides, over 2-3 hours, baby potatoes with salt, hard cheese, date balls or fruit cake.

Is this code for something or do you really ride with a block of parmesan in your back pocket?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre ride - coffee, and leftover braaivleis (or futurlife if no braaivleis available)

during, banana/ naartjie sometimes some sort of nougat based bar to eat ( longer then 2 hour rides)

to drink, water, sometimes coke/water if there is a shop closeby.

after, beer to drink, and whatever I can lay my hands on to shove in my face. Bacon egg cheese rolls, burgers, pizza, farmhouse breakfast...

I’m with Oom Ben on this one. Unless you are racing at threshold for 2 to 3 hours, all this nutrition nonsense is basically snake oil.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi LLTHB

Drop us a mail on info@cadencenutrition.com and let us know what type of riding you're doing, what your goal events are and current nutrition. We're happy to offer some guidance to help you.

Hi. Was trying to get Cadence products but was a mission. Finally found the whole range on Takealot.

Got the big five products I was looking for, all sorted.

• 3 weeks later...

What no-one ever mentions is herbs; herbs are key for natural health; get a bottle of swedish or angostura bitters; full of all kinds of minerals; 3 drops a day for maintenance; and, you won't get sick; things like barley malt is cheap and already broken down with enzymes for easy absorption; that with lemon juice and some Kalahari salt for electrolytes; 

My favourite is ginger beer made with real cream of tartar and barley malt; no sugar;

Make sweet balls and wrap it in rice paper; choose your ingredients; rice is now the starch of choice for pros;

Ketones is now what endurance cyclists use- fats; meat-eaters can eat dry wors; not sure what's on the market for vegans;

Dried fruit is quick energy - apricots and plums are high on the list but, many can't handle it;

Myself can't stomach breakfast and the oats of today has no oomf; yogurt works for me;

Sugar is the worst poison; have been sugar free for 10 years and never felt better.

Also, modern diets don't have any fermentation; we are made up of microbes and we need to feed them for better metabolism; so, yes beer but, again rather craft beer;

You are what you eat so keep it natural; go on long rides and experiment to see what works for you;

Life is a journey so enjoy the ride...

What no-one ever mentions is herbs; herbs are key for natural health; get a bottle of swedish or angostura bitters; full of all kinds of minerals; 3 drops a day for maintenance; and, you won't get sick; things like barley malt is cheap and already broken down with enzymes for easy absorption; that with lemon juice and some Kalahari salt for electrolytes;

My favourite is ginger beer made with real cream of tartar and barley malt; no sugar;

Make sweet balls and wrap it in rice paper; choose your ingredients; rice is now the starch of choice for pros;

Ketones is now what endurance cyclists use- fats; meat-eaters can eat dry wors; not sure what's on the market for vegans;

Dried fruit is quick energy - apricots and plums are high on the list but, many can't handle it;

Myself can't stomach breakfast and the oats of today has no oomf; yogurt works for me;

Sugar is the worst poison; have been sugar free for 10 years and never felt better.

Also, modern diets don't have any fermentation; we are made up of microbes and we need to feed them for better metabolism; so, yes beer but, again rather craft beer;

You are what you eat so keep it natural; go on long rides and experiment to see what works for you;

Life is a journey so enjoy the ride...

I am interested in the ginger beer. Do you make it yourself? If yes, recipe please.

Hello Ouens.

Gooi asseblief.

Best brand of products all around.

Pre ride drinks, during the ride drinks, after the ride drinks, shakes.

So confusing with all the advertising rubbish.

Hoping to settle on one brand for the lot.

Of course a lot of okes are gonna say bananas, Black Cat, nothing needed etc.

But if you get past this, is there one brand of supplements that fits it all.

Cheers.

I use SAB. Haven't tried to make a shake yet.

In seriousness, I use both Nutritech and NPL supplements., 

Edited by TNT1

Biogen Electrolyte tabs.

Chicken

Peanuts. Or any other nuts

Condensed milk

Chocolate mousse

I made the mistake of buying Biogen Cola electrolytes... Just can't get my taste buds around the flavour. I had PowerBar before but can't justify their ridiculous pricing... I just drink water now for my fasted rides while I search for a better flavour. I'll keep the remaining 2 tubes of Biogen for someone that pi$$es me off... ???? Edited by love2fly

Really like Cadence. So much so we pedal it on our website as well. Only product that does not have me wrenching due to over sugaryness.

Favourite is the choc salted bar

Oros in my one bottle and apple juice and water mixture in other bottle. Afterwards a steri stumpie, if i have 32gi accelerate i use that in my bottles.

Edited by Carmichael

Really like Cadence. So much so we pedal it on our website as well. Only product that does not have me wrenching due to over sugaryness.

Definitely one of our favourites too

Really like Cadence. So much so we pedal peddle it on our website as well. Only product that does not have me wrenching due to over sugariness.

I quite LIKE that malapropism you made; it really, really is clever!  :thumbup:

noun

1. the mistaken use of a word in place of a similar-sounding one, often with an amusing effect (e.g. ‘dance a flamingo ’ instead of flamenco ).